A/C compressor seal replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone have luck changing the A/C compressor shaft seal? It seems every one I have has a leak and it's silly to buy new or rebuilts every time when they otherwise work well . I know I'll have to invest in a clutch holding/removal/install tool kit. I see specific model tools as well as generic fit-all kits for sale. Snap ring pliers I have. Anything else needed?
AST7886.jpg
http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-7886.aspx

mechanic58

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2011
I have replaced lots of them in several different types of compressors - but here's the thing, usually by the time the seal is worn out, so is the rest of the compressor. New or rebuilt compressors can be had for so cheap these days (and with a warranty I might add), that its just about not worth even messing with them. Just my $.02.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How about this instance? My high and low side pressures are fine, it runs quiet, but after several months the system is empty. I finally pinpointed the leak at the seal with an electronic detector. The price of the tools is almost that of a new unit, but then I can do the job for the cost of the seal. What is the life expectancy of a compressor?

mechanic58

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
How about this instance? My high and low side pressures are fine, it runs quiet, but after several months the system is empty. I finally pinpointed the leak at the seal with an electronic detector. The price of the tools is almost that of a new unit, but then I can do the job for the cost of the seal. What is the life expectancy of a compressor?

Hard to say really - but how bout this - the seal replacement is a fairly delicate matter, plus you still have to get lucky and be able to remove the clutch without tearing anything up. Its been my experience over the years, especially when messing with old sh*t, that you're only able to get them apart without damaging anything about half the time. So let's say you buy all the tools and start the job and then end up tearing your sh*t up. Then you have to buy a new one anyway and you've already spent nearly that much on the tools. Then you're out nearly twice as much as you woulda been had you just picked up a new compressor and swapped it out in the first place. Just sayin.... Really, the only this type of repair could be justified would be if you were a practicing mechanic that had your own shop and you already had these tools, which you have already paid for with profits from working on customers' cars. If it were me, I'd just go buy a new compressor and put it on.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
x2! i asked about this when i was a mechanic and got the same answer from the senior techs. even for them it wasn't worth it to get the tools. now if you can rent them from autozone...

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, I understand. It's just that I usually would rather buy a tool so that I can do the job myself down the line. For example I have a Kent-Moore pinion depth setting tool I found at a swap meet that has been used countless times by me and the boys to set up rears. I just figured I'd add compressors to the list. I must say that my factory manuals are loaded with cautions and notices about using the proper tools and procedures. NO SHORT CUTS! Alright, thank's for the input.

mechanic58

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2011
I certainly wouldn't fault you for buying tools - you can never have enough tools. I guess what really matters is - it's your money, do with it as you see fit.

(I think I'll subscribe to this thread so that I can PM you in the future when I need to barrow your compressor tools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor