A/C compressor swap????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
My 79 El Camino V-8 has the big,ugly, always in the way A/C compressor. I've read that there was a smaller factory one used. ANY info (easy swap?, what ALL IS NEEDED ) would really help. Never did any A/C projects before, so I'm pretty knowledge challenged on this subject BTW it's on the drivers side above the P/S pump .

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I believe it is entirely possible to swap to the short style compressor used in the mid-late 80s, such as the one in this monte carlo:
monteenginebay.jpg

I believe that all you'd need is the different mounting brackets. I think ones from the 229 chevy v6 are the same as well, so that broaden's your junkyard options.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Doug,
I also had the large A3 axial compressor on my car originally using R12 refrigerant. My plan was to convert over to R-134A and go with the smaller R4 radial compressor. As Mr Sony stated, you will need the proper mounting brackets for the R4. You will also need the manifold/ hoses for the R4 compressor. They're different than the one for the A3 unit. You might also consider replacing the evaporator and condenser to a newer design for increased efficiency.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/r4-a-c-compressor-bracket-configuration.56010/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor