A/C condenser paint or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
So I'm replacing my old style condenser that was that came in my 83 Cutlass with a new style that works better with 134a. It's a Specter and it's aluminum, and bright. Should I paint it?
How much if any would paint decrease the performance of it from doing what it's designed to do?

It should be ok. Even ACDelco would just spray the fronts of the replacement units. They would come sealed up on a carboard piece. They'd be all pretty and black and all...take them out of the vacuum sealed plastic and there on the back, bare as a newborn's bottom.

You don't want to put a glob of paint on them, as the heat transfer coefficient needs to be high as possible. Although oldsofb is correct in that they have specific paints for radiators and such and is more preferable to use if you were going to paint it, you will likely get by with your fog spray on the front.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Since I converted to 134 it has never gotten cold enough during hot weather, which is all the time here in south Louisiana. So now I'm going through it again, changing to a tube and fin condenser, changing dryer just because I'm opening it up, and orifice. I ordered a high temp orifice, above 105 ambient. Not sure if that's a good idea, but I need cold air.

I hope you mean parallel flow condensor, because tube and fin is what was used with the original R12 design

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor