A/C Condenser ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mincom79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Hello All,
Anyone with suggestions of where to find an a/c condenser that is an exact fit/match
to the original (AC Delco?) unit for a '79 Monte Carlo ?

Although REACH claims to make them, their part #7-3232 is not a match to the GM unit
pictured (darker unit w/tubing exposed).
The main parts distributors on the web do not show one as pictured either.

...any advice, please ! Thank You !

20220531_141615.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The new parallel flow condensors (left side of your pic) are generally considered to be more efficient than the old serpentine tube and fin condensors as originally used. Especially if converting to something more readily-available than R12

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, even ACDelco updated to a paralell flow right before they discontinued them. They don't fit all that great either. They're a tad smaller, but will work just fine once you get them mounted. Had to bend in the insulator/mounting tabs a bit to ensure a tighter mount, but it did well otherwise.

The old serpentine flow ones are rare as heck to get new even if you wanted to stay with those. The ONLY reason I've got a new one of those is it's going in the '85 at some point because that was what's orginal to the car. Otherwise, I'd use a paralell flow one. You should too, unless you just HAVE to have it factory stock.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Mincom79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Unfortunately, even ACDelco updated to a paralell flow right before they discontinued them. They don't fit all that great either. They're a tad smaller, but will work just fine once you get them mounted. Had to bend in the insulator/mounting tabs a bit to ensure a tighter mount, but it did well otherwise.

The old serpentine flow ones are rare as heck to get new even if you wanted to stay with those. The ONLY reason I've got a new one of those is it's going in the '85 at some point because that was what's orginal to the car. Otherwise, I'd use a paralell flow one. You should too, unless you just HAVE to have it factory stock.
Thanks for your advice....but where did you source your new, original (serpentine flow) condenser ?

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I found it on ebay about 10 years ago. I stumbled on it, it was a bit pricey, but only about 1/2 as much as GM list price, so I hopped on it. GM p/n 3041841.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I found it on ebay about 10 years ago. I stumbled on it, it was a bit pricey, but only about 1/2 as much as GM list price, so I hopped on it. GM p/n 3041841.
The OE Whisperer.

• Haha
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If your 79 Monte is a V8, then you have a different p/n for a condenser than an Olds, which is what I have. The GM part number you'd want for your 79 Monte V8 would be 3040935 as it has the connections on the driver side.

The 3041841 would be for V6 applications of the 79 monte, as well as Olds and Regals with V6 or V8 as it has connections on the passenger side.

Not sure what these guys have for sure, but this is something more like you would need if the sh*t they're selling is the correct part. But you'd have to ask them. I didn't read the whole thing, but I'm betting it's an aftermarket unit. And most of those are parallel flow.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The new parallel flow condensors (left side of your pic) are generally considered to be more efficient than the old serpentine tube and fin condensors as originally used. Especially if converting to something more readily-available than R12
Whelp, only thing I'd add to that is this.

R12 demand isn't what it used to be... so many converted to r134a, sanden style compressors, and those parallel flow units to make the 134a work better as well. R12 also operates lower pressures so you use less of it

R12 is around $30/lb retailed, and, cheaper if you can find it private party. With so few people wanting it I find it readily available, although, it's not like I live in NYC, LA, or some other majorly built up area.

R134a is up already around $14-18lb retailed and climbing as companies stop making it. The conversion costs are no longer recouped by a $6 to charge whole-system savings, and, in the next few years will likely get only more expensive and harder to find. Going to the normally cheaper priced stores show empty shelves for it, even at the higher prices, so you've got to wonder how much is temporarly 'supply chain'and how much that references a permanent demand vs companies making other things scenario. So it's less per pound, but, you also use more. You're really not saving so much.

R1234y is brand new and $50/lb retailed. Easiest to get, but, you can see why not going there is worthwhile.

So although 134a is still cheapest per pound now, I'd doubt it stays that way especially with it just starting the phased out journey.

These days my r12 vehicles will stay r12. Had I lived in a big metro where that wasn't as practical, maybe a different answer.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Measurements? I might have 3. One in a 86 4door G Body cutlass , 1 in an 89 custom cruiser wagon A Body, and one in 83 Regency A Body. I'll have to check the 86 Cutlass the compressor is already removed and replaced with new radiator, I think the condenser is still attached. I have to check, the. 86, I would hate to say I have one and then find out I don't.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Measurements? I might have 3. One in a 86 4door G Body cutlass , 1 in an 89 custom cruiser wagon A Body, and one in 83 Regency A Body. I'll have to check the 86 Cutlass the compressor is already removed and replaced with new radiator, I think the condenser is still attached. I have to check, the. 86, I would hate to say I have one and then find out I don't.
For a Chevy V8 Monte it has to have the lines on the driver side unless the OP's willing to make some custom hose setup. According to the original picture, it appears that is the case. No regal or Cutlass body one will work unless it was a Chevy V8 car. Cutlass V6 and Olds V8 and V6 Montes shared the same part number condenser. V8 Chevy did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor