A/C delete - heater only box

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
As some of you guys know, I have a few cars that I play around with. Anywho, I've done a partial A/C delete on a mid-eighties Olds powered g-body. I'm looking to remove the A/C heater box shell from the engine compartment and replace it with the heater only shell. I've seen them for sale on a few web sites for around $175 quid but was wondering if they can be had for less? Anyone else know of a web site that has a better deal?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have seen original ones for less but im not sure what the entire swap is going for. I know that everything changes, even the glovebox door.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Not looking to get that anal about it - just looking to change out the shell in the engine bay. I only drive this auto a few hundred miles per year. Just need a little heat/defrost and would like to free up the space. Look on gbody parts dot com to see the item I'm talking about -hard to find on their site but search on delete and it will show up at te top of the list.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I'm still planning on retaining everything inside of the car. The vacuum controlled HVAC doors work just fine. I'm just going to replace the shell under the hood to free up some room. I can't believe that I would also need to replace the entire heater box inside the car. I'll re-post this spring once I get around to this.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Here's what I'm planning to install in the place of the old shell. I'm thinking that this should bolt right up to the existing HVAC box. I also have a cutting wheel for modifications to the inside of the HVAC box if needed. Haha.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I've seen the aftermarket heater boxes and the pricing appears to be about the same regardless who you get it from.
They do have more add ons you can buy to make it more functional similar to an original but I'm sure most people will try to modify what they already have to work with the new case.
The factory heater cases (non AC ) are usually hard to find and can be 30 years old so they may be brittle, cracked, etc.
I like the aftermarket ones because they offer more room around the engine area.
I modified a non AC case for my car and I still had to notch out an area so my big block would fit.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I have seen the need to notch the HVAC box when installing big blocks into gbodys. Blake442 installed a non-AC HVAC box in his car a still needed to notch it due to clearance issues with his 455. Btw, I don't know Blake; just remember reading about it here. Anywho, here is the neat product I was thinking of:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... 6d3d1ed319

Hopefully the URL works -

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I have seen the need to notch the HVAC box when installing big blocks into gbodys. Blake442 installed a non-AC HVAC box in his car a still needed to notch it due to clearance issues with his 455. Btw, I don't know Blake; just remember reading about it here. Anywho, here is the neat product I was thinking of:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... 6d3d1ed319

Hopefully the URL works -

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor