A/C Dilemma

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
So, still working on the 78' Malibu. The car had A/C from factory, and the owner would like it to have A/C again, not an unreasonable request in AZ. I was thinking of going with a Vintage Air style kit and just spend the extra dough. But, apparently, nobody makes any kits for any Malibus/ Elkys after 72'. So, I figured I'd try and piece an A/C system together from factory parts. Unfortunately, my ac box is missing a good chunk of fiberglass that I can't repair (don't have the missing chunk).
The solution here of course is to find a new old air box from a different car, but in AZ there's no guarantee I can find one in any better condition than mine. I'd also like to stick the engine and trans in and I'm not sure if I should until I get the ac box in.

I'm not quite sure what to do at the moment.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Posting pictures of what you need would help. I have a pretty complete AC box out of a 5th Gen El Camino. Other significant issue is I live in Hawaii. Let me know if you're interested.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Posting pictures of what you need would help. I have a pretty complete AC box out of a 5th Gen El Camino. Other significant issue is I live in Hawaii. Let me know if you're interested.
I'll take some pics when I get home later. I pretty much just need the firewall A/C box. All the rest of the parts I can get.

If shipping isn't absurd I might be interested.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Question, will having the engine in the car stop me from being able to put the ac box in?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Not if it is a small block. Probably have to pull the exhaust manifold/headers on that side, maybe the valve cover.

Reactions: 1 user

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Question, will having the engine in the car stop me from being able to put the ac box in?
I pulled the ac box out of a monte ss in a junkyard without pulling the engine or the valve cover, or exhaust manifold. It actually went pretty easy, took less than an hour from start to finish. Biggest issue I had was getting all of the rusted bolts out for the inner wheel well in the front where the battery tray was. If I had my tools from home it would have been even easier.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Remove the wheel and the fender liner. That should give you some good access.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Ok cool. I just want to stab the engine in finally and haven't yet because of the A/C box.
Remove the wheel and the fender liner. That should give you some good access.
Easy enough, no fenders on it yet anyway.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor