A.C. Idle solenoid install

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since I installed air conditioning on my Regal I decided to add an idle solenoid so I can kick up the idle when it is on but since I have a Holley ultra carb there are no provisions to mount one to the carb so I had to fabricate something to work with my aluminum throttle bracket.
I bought the solenoid from a Corvette place that had it in stock and was $50 to my door and had it in a few days.

I first had to raise the return spring to give me the clearance I needed and then did mock ups for the solenoid bracket in cardboard.
Once I was happy with the mock ups I transferred it to aluminum sheet cut it out and then smoothed it and polished it knowing once I bent it some areas would be hard to polish.
I then drilled and tapped two 1/4" -20 holes in the throttle bracket and slotted my solenoid bracket to give me some adjustment once in place.
After everything was reinstalled I wired power to my ac compressor and verified it functioned.

This works flawlessly, I was able to turn down my idle and when I turn the AC on it kicks up a little and then I give a little throttle and it hits it's final setting and stays locked there until I turn the AC off or shut the car off.
20220730_174726.jpg
20220731_190308.jpg
20220731_175111.jpg
20220731_192135.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used the bracket Holley sells but it hit the linkage so I had to hack the crap out of it.

View attachment 203721 View attachment 203722
I considered those at first but I could tell by looking at the Holley bracket pictures none of those were going to work with my throttle bracket and figured it would be easier just to make something that fit where I wanted it.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Nice job and it looks good too!
This is on my list of things to do since the carb is different on the new engine. None of the old stuff works.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I forgot to add to the above post:
It looks as if factory did that had they used good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor