A/C not coming on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I drove the Malibu to work early this morning only now to find that the A/C isn't working. Before it was only blowing out from the top vents and running only at High Speed wouldn't work when switched to Fan or Low. Now it's out completely.

Doing a study of the problem many agree the Blower Motor Resistor is out. I am trying to find the location of the Resistor, Same place as every other car? Passenger Side under the glove box?

When the A/C was on the motor itself sounded great, no squeals etc. Is it possible the Resistor is now out completely causing the A/C not to work at all? I am going to be checking the Fuse on the Fuse Panel but I need to be sure it's the Resistor before I buy one.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The resistor is next to the blower motor, has a grey plug on it. It's about $7 at a parts store. I believe the parts stores also sell the plug, but the wire colors are off. A lot of times that plug gets water in it and corrodes the connections, and it can melt the plug. Mine did that as well. Went to the junkyard and snipped a nice one off an 80s bonne with the proper wire colors.

Your AC could also be low on whatever refrigerant you have in there. If it's original and never been touched and you can prove that, it might need r12. Unless it's been converted to r134a.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor