A/C Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
My air conditioner compresser siezed up many years ago,and since I rarely drive it in hot weather(I work in Alaska in the summer) I have not bothered to replace it.

I have recently thought about fixing it.
I know regulations for refrigerant have changed and the original refrigerant is no longer used.
Can I replace my compressor with a stock compressor and will any other parts need to be changed?
I've seen a couple compressors on Ebay that I think will work,but want to make sure.

Once I get the compressor changed out,I should be able to go to any shop that deals with A/C to get it charged?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Yeah, they just change the fittings to R134 and put a sticker on.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Just swapping ober to r134 isn't all that's required. r134 will leak unless you change some other things ( not to mention you need a different kind of oil too ). I would contact a place that deals with AC for details. Done CORRECTLY, it can be a bit pricey at times.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
DoubleV said:
Just swapping ober to r134 isn't all that's required. r134 will leak unless you change some other things ( not to mention you need a different kind of oil too ). I would contact a place that deals with AC for details. Done CORRECTLY, it can be a bit pricey at times.

Not sure about the compressor, but all that really needs changed is all the o rings. Maybe some other cheap components also, not really sure. Make sure there is no refrigerant in the system before you start taking things apart. It really shouldn't be a hard process in a gbody. When you are done, take it to a shop to pull a vacuum on the system to check for leaks. Then they can add the refrigerant and oil.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
dan2286 said:
Not sure about the compressor, but all that really needs changed is all the o rings.

If you want to do it RIGHT, then add the accumulator, the hoses, and having the whole system evacuated too. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can, but if you want to it all correctly the first time, the price will go up accordingly. If done on the cheap, you increase your chances of having problems, like slow leaks.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
DoubleV said:
dan2286 said:
Not sure about the compressor, but all that really needs changed is all the o rings.

If you want to do it RIGHT, then add the accumulator, the hoses, and having the whole system evacuated too. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can, but if you want to it all correctly the first time, the price will go up accordingly. If done on the cheap, you increase your chances of having problems, like slow leaks.

Good point

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Dan, did you ever get your heater/AC line routing problem fixed?

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Jeff,
I don't think you are required to change to R-134A refrigerant.
My A/C guy still uses R-12 in the systems that originally used R-12, if the customer wants to do it that way.
The refrigerant is more expensive, but you don't have to change everything over to be compatible with R-134A.
Might be worth getting quotes both ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor