A/C - Radio swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retnug

n00b
Apr 5, 2020
I have been reading through the forum and find lots of good info. I am getting an '82 El Camino but do not have it here yet.

My question is: Is it possible and if so how hard would it be to swap the location of the radio and A/C controls.

Thanks for any insight.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Physically swapping the radio and A/C control unit wouldn't be hard but you would have to cut out part of the dash for the radio and fabricate mounting plates for both and you would need to do something with the bezel, but the reality is I think since the AC controls were designed for that location they might not have the play with hoses/cables etc. or clearance to go where the radio is.
I am curious as to why or what advantage do you see in doing this?

retnug

n00b
Apr 5, 2020
I was also wondering about the play in the wires and such.

I was looking into doing this to put in a head unit that has a display that comes out of the radio and flips up. I the stock position it would be in front of the A/C controls.

Does this sound crazy?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was looking into doing this to put in a head unit that has a display that comes out of the radio and flips up. I the stock position it would be in front of the A/C controls.
Does this sound crazy?
No, you could remove your radio and then unbolt your AC controls and gently try to move it down to see if it looks like it will work.
You could also do an under dash mount for the new radio and not move anything.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY

Does this sound crazy?

Like this. I bought a relocation kit on Ebay years ago. I did it for the same reason. All stock wires and hose reach with no trouble
20170129_170724.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor