A/C replacement with mods ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
After my previous post I'm checking out parts to replace my system. The aftermarket has brackets for alt.and A/C compressor, I want to keep the new comp. on the drivers side. I also have headers. They all call for a Sanden comp. No way do I want to go with a complete serpentine system. I want to keep this conversion as simple and cost effective as possible. I NEED good advice on what parts will work the first time. If factory brackets for the newer style a/c will work with headers, that would be great. I've read on here that some of you have eliminated your a/c all together, if what you have would fill my needs let me know.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Doug,
I'm sure some guys out there would have the necessary brackets to convert over to the smaller R4 compressor. However, I would consider going with the Sanden unit. I think they're more reliable and bulletproof for the most part.
The brackets will work with headers. If I recall, one bracket may need to be modified, or need a spacer.. I'll have to take a look at mine again.
I hope the link that I provided was able to shed some light on the subject.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The bracket attached to the exhaust manifold requires a spacer. I used an old valve guide from one of my old engines as a spacer. You also need a long stud using a nut and washer in place of the forward header bolt .
The spacer obviously was to compensate for the stock exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Hi Jack. The long bolt with a spacer sounds like the same setup I have with my long compressor and headers. On the top I have a big upside down curved V shaped bracket that the top bolts to the intake manifold. I've been checking into the Sanden compressor. Almost all of them say Sanden Style. What's with that? March and Vintage Air seen to have a few reasonably priced A/C only brackets that are designed for use with headers .

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Doug,
When I was checking out various compressors, I noticed the same thing regarding Sanden compressors...and/or Sanden style. My assumption is that there are companies, probably Chinese, knocking off the Japanese Sanden units.

If you choose to go with the R4 rotary compressor, you will need the specific brackets. I hope the link that I posted was helpful showing you the brackets.

The Sanden mounting brackets are a bit pricey. You might do better buying it as a kit with hoses, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor