A/C Swap Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice here. I'm about to swap the 229ci V6 engine out of my Taxi with a L31 Vortec.
I've put a new GM serpentine system on the new engine with a later model AC compressor mounted on the passenger side.
Looking for Swap Parts for the condenser, pressure and return lines, accumulator and while I'm at it to make everything new I'll change the evaporator.
I have the means of making my own lines too but if there was something I could order (from another application) and bolt on would be better.

Thanks,
Jamie

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
From this...

0E06F118-E180-4DAE-91D3-E08839BC2C96.jpeg

To this...

25A22050-BBF6-4245-988B-6EA9E60D867D.jpeg

For this...

9C0548E2-733F-476B-B6FD-75027E4B8905.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I put a 355 SBC in my 86'Regal and replaced all of the ac parts with new ones for a 86' Olds 307 but even though I could have made the factory compressor hoses work I decided to just make my own instead.

20190707_191614-1_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice here. I'm about to swap the 229ci V6 engine out of my Taxi with a L31 Vortec.
I've put a new GM serpentine system on the new engine with a later model AC compressor mounted on the passenger side.
Looking for Swap Parts for the condenser, pressure and return lines, accumulator and while I'm at it to make everything new I'll change the evaporator.
I have the means of making my own lines too but if there was something I could order (from another application) and bolt on would be better.

Thanks,
Jamie
I am using the same front accessory drive as you. I'm going to use a Cutlass 307 condenser and hose assembly. I've read on here several times that the 3rd gen F body condenser and hose assembly also work well. An upside to the F body hose assembly over the 307 Cutlass piece is that it doesn't have the big muffler on it so it would be a bit cleaner.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Nice! that looks like it should work.
Why did you make your own lines? Was it to get rid of the "accumulator looking" thing off the compressor lines?

AC LINE.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Nice! that looks like it should work.
Why did you make your own lines? Was it to get rid of the "accumulator looking" thing off the compressor lines?

View attachment 131196
My first hose from 4 seasons like above was defective and would not make the bend required without kinking, 4 Seasons eventually sent a me a new one that would work but I had already made my own hoses since I already had everything here for my Monte's ac set up I just had to order the adapter for the back of the compressor.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I am using the same front accessory drive as you. I'm going to use a Cutlass 307 condenser and hose assembly. I've read on here several times that the 3rd gen F body condenser and hose assembly also work well. An upside to the F body hose assembly over the 307 Cutlass piece is that it doesn't have the big muffler on it so it would be a bit cleaner.
Agreed... F body hoses are cleaner looking and cheaper. And you say that's a muffler on the Olds line?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Agreed... F body hoses are cleaner looking and cheaper. And you say that's a muffler on the Olds line?
My understanding has always been that the silver "can" on the hose assembly is a muffler. Maybe it's noteworthy that an Olds had one but a Chevy didn't? I don't know. I went with Olds hose since it's a G body part. I thought maybe it would fit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor