A/C with Serpentine Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
I am looking to do the TBI serpentine belt conversion on my '85 GP. I have an '89 K5 Jimmy, so I am pretty familiar with the system already. I know I need a new reverse flow water pump. I know I need to relocate the alternator to the driver side, and I've done CS style alternator swaps on a lot of cars, so I can handle that. My biggest unknown is the AC compressor. Currently my GP has the V belt compressor on the driver side. With the serp kit it will be like my K5, on the passenger side. What is everyone doing for A/C hoses? What make/model ac hoses should I be getting? Are people having custom AC hoses made?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am putting a SBC in my 86 Regal and I made mounts to move my compressor to the passenger side and I plan on using the factory AC set up for the Olds 307 which came in the car since it is already on the passenger side,

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have the serpentine setup from the 3rd gen Camaro. I'm using the Cutlass condenser (connections on passenger side) and the Cutlass 307 hose assembly. I also bought a used liquid line (hard line from evaporator to condenser) for a Cutlass from a member on here.

I've also seen the 3rd gen Camaro condenser and lines used. The only 'negative' with the Cutlass 307 hose assembly is it includes the muffler which takes up a little space.

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
So long story short it's F-body, 307 Cutlass or custom hoses. Thank you for the input. I just pulled the trigger today on a TBI (Truck) Pulley kit on Ebay. I guess the truck/TBI kit is the way to go for me as my '89 K5 is 3 feet to the side of the GP so I can look at them for reference.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
When I put the serpentine setup on my GP I got everything complete including all the accessories from a 91 firebird. The fbody condenser fits almost perfect in the g body I also used all the f body lines which fit very well with just a little bit of careful bending and twisting. Obviously you will have to use the g body evaporator and accumulator/ drier.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 307 Oldsmobile hoses will work but have a rather large integral muffler that can eat up room in the right side of the engine. The F body hoses fit and are much cleaner looking. The F body condenser also mounts the hose and liquid live lower closer to the frame rail.

Attachments

• IMG_20190622_125734272_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_125734272_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 828

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Thanks for posting today, guys. Just to clarify... Use original G body stuff on the firewall, the TBI R4 A/C compressor, and F Body hoses & condenser??

Full disclosure... I have all the 78 Oldsmobile 260 stuff in place, but it's old, I would like a cleaner look, and I don't want to have to polish that damn muffler. It would work with my TBI serpentine conversion on the 403 swap, but I'm thinking buy a new G Body drier, and F Body hoses & condenser.

spidereyes455, can you elaborate on the fit of the F Body condenser? I know the F Body core support is basically the same (but welded due to the unibody construction) as a G Body core support.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I was able to use the f body condenser without any modifications if I remember correctly. If anything I think the fittings may be very close to the side of the rad support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor