A crappy task

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Glad to hear it worked out for you and that it was like new inside. Always happy to help out.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, another delay. I ordered a disc from Georgia that didn't ship until Monday. No problem, in fact it showed up in NY faster than planned. I should have gotten it yesterday. I also ordered a bearing that shipped Monday. Not knowing the origin I paid extra for Priority Mail so it would travel fast. Silly me, this is the Post Office after Christmas when it goes into a coma. My bearing shipped from Brooklyn, should have been here in a day, it took until Wednesday because it went out to Bethpage first. Still OK, I got it yesterday. So where is my disc? A day late, the tracking number says it is "out for delivery" today. OK, I am at the end of the route so I go find my mailman to intercept it. He does not have it. He explaind that there is a new Postmaster and he declared all routes are to be done in 8 hours, no exceptions. So he was ordered to hit the street while the parcels were still sitting in a Post-Con, un-worked. Some manager scanned the entire Post-Con as "out for delivery" when it was just sitting there in plain sight. But as long as none of the big shots don't see that then they have "made the numbers". What horse pucky. I just looked up the tracking number again and the "service is unavailable right now". Must be a whole lot of stuff "out for delivery"! But you have heard me explain this over and over. Nothing changes. Now I wait to see what lame excuse they scanned in to explain why I did not get my disc.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well I expected stupidity and I was not disappointed. Now my tracking number says that my clutch disc arrived at my local PO and is now available for pickup. Ummm, after being "out for delivery" today it just now arrived? And how I am supposed to pick it up without a 3849? Oh, right. You get a 3849 when the mailman actually has your item with him, rings your bell, no answer, and he leaves a 3849 with the item number on it so you can take it in and say "I would like to pick this up". But I don't HAVE a 3849 because it never left the office. Bang head here >>>>> X

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Gotta love the way the govt operates things these days.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You remember back in Iowa when you knew the mailman and postmaster personally? My UPS guy has known me my hole life, but I still can't remember his name. I wonder why the regal mailman has not commented yet? I hope you haven't offended him.:unsure:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I got to meet my mailman about a year or 2 before he retired, great car guy to boot. He was supposedly moving to Cushing, IA where he bought a defunct Dodge dealership to play with his cars. Now, THAT's a retirement I can get with!

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's an independent, self funded government agency that is regulated by congress.
As we used to say: If it's something good for Federal workers- sorry you are a private agency and don't qualify. If it's something that screws Federal workers, you are Federal so bend over! So guess what? Turns out this package was 2 day Priority Mail. That bounced around several PDC's for days and then sat at my station a whole day for no good reason. End result: 5 days travel time. A big Post Office FAIL! Luckily my mailman is an absolute gem and he found my parcel and dropped it off to me before beginning his route today. He knew I wanted to get my clutch back together before the snow hits this weekend. Now I get to work outside in the sub-freezing cold but it beats delivering the Mail in the cold. Comparing discs it looks like my old one was not worn too badly but it would be stupid not to use a new one.
IMG_0948.JPG

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
WOWSERS it's COLD! Had to pop in and feel my feet again. So far I put the pressure plate and disc up. I find the best pilot tool is an actual Saginaw input shaft. Hold the disc in alignent while you insert and tighten the plate bolts. This is a time where "good n' tight" does not work. Slowly tighten each bolt a bit at a time going round the circumference and across. The idea is to tighten the bolts in small increments so you do not warp the pressure plate. If you see the Belleville spring fingers poking up too much at any time back off and tighten the opposite side. When you have snuck up on the bolts where they get hard to turn then it is time to employ the torque wrench for the final tightening to specs. A flywheel holding tool helps here. Again do it in small increments. Next I put the bell housing up. Before I did I test fitted it to the transmission. It was too tight a fit on the input gear cover so I scraped off all of the new paint that accumulated there. Much better. Then I inserted the throw out bearing on the fork and greased the contact points with high temperature grease. I bolted the housing on and the flywheel cover. Don't forget the ground cable if there is one there like mine. My old flywheel cover had suffered a catastrophic event and I had cut a new one from galvanized sheet steel. Stainless steel nuts and bolts allow easy disassembly. The last thing is the transmission and I have it positioned on the jack ready to go. Pilot bolts are inserted in the two lower holes for alignment. As soon as my fingers and toes thaw out I will give it a go.
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor