A Fabricobbler's Guide to the Turbo Buick Galaxy- Cutlass Rehash

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What did FTI come up with? Are they going to step up or bail?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
FTI is stepping up and said whoevers fault it is, it doesn't matter and I can ship what I got back to them on their cost and they will ship me a 27 spline correct unit, good service on their end.

My problem is that I pulled the trans out of the car Thursday and couldn't get the converter off the trans. It's stuck on.

Pulled the trans totally Friday and tired pulling on it at a better angle not underneath the car. Nope, still stuck.

Today I cut a piece of square tube and put some studs into the converter and tried pulling. Nada. Didn't move at all. Starting to bend the square tube, it's a piece from an old piece of exercise equipment so it's pretty spindly but if I put something robust in there I'm afraid I'm going to break stuff in the trans.

The converter typically sits 1 1/8" from the flywheel pads to the bellhousing face. It was at 3/4" when it was in the car and I was able to get it to move 1/4" so it's all 1/2" now.

I'm stuck. My two options are slide hammer to the converter and see if it shocks it hard enough break whatever is bound up in the splines or take a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut the converter in half.

The converter still spins easily. I'm almost certain the 27 spline input shaft has welded or doubled up the spline on the 30 spline converter turbine.

I don't really have a great idea of what to do here. I could pull really hard on the converter but I'm at risk of breaking the case or a part in the trans.

Pulling the pump to case bolts is not an option, there is a snap ring holding the OD clutch pack in and I need to pull everything off in order to pull the input shaft so there's not a way to pull the converter with and number of trans parts assembled.

Either way, best case I am certain the input shaft is cooked and I'll need to pull the pump apart to inspect if any debris was generated.

PXL_20240323_192020656.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'd consult with someone (trans guy).

Very good to hear that they are willing to help you out with this.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor