A Fabricobbler's Guide to the Turbo Buick Galaxy- Cutlass Rehash

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well I got off my lazy bones and started getting parts.

I have tried getting calling CK for parts stock updates and haven't got much response or traction. Turbo Buick forum is full of grumps but it seems like the general consensus is that CK has good stuff but the owner is a bit burned out and focusing on TH400 and 4l80e stuff, lots of complaints about buying stuff and it taking months to show up with limited or no communication. I'm fine with slow delivery if there are lead times and good communication, but I am not a fan of poor communication even if his prices are the best on the market.

People on the Buick forum and one of the 2004r zucker-book pages say Dave Husek is much more communicative these days (but doesn't show the parts nearly as well as CK). So I gotta call him and see if he has parts in stock and what leadtimes look like. Not sure price wise where he sits but I'm willing to pay a bit more and actually get parts.

So I have a GN EFI fuel tank (without filler neck) on the way, fuel sender, and a hellkitty 525 walbro pump. Should be plenty for e85 at my power level. 450's are out of stock most places anyways and the hellkitty pump is almost the same price.

Also found the dang saginaw M14 to #6 JIC 90 fitting that stumped me when I put the car together and forced me to put the FPR upside down.
1642695699055.png

Reactions: 6 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I've been reading those thread on CK, Dave is an option also. I was going to use his converter, but got the Vigilanti 5 disc at a steal.

Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Fancy!
I held on to a few cores over the years so someday I can learn how to rebuild them if I feel so inclined...
It's been too cold in my garage... I can't get very far away from the heater lol

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
😂

Wife works from home due to the Rona and I'm at work.

She has boxes coming for things she ordered

Hears door bell and assumes it's something small she ordered

Turns out it's the fuel tank and she has to drag the giant box inside 😆

Snapchat-2104303241.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
😂

Wife works from home due to the Rona and I'm at work.

She has boxes coming for things she ordered

Hears door bell and assumes it's something small she ordered

Turns out it's the fuel tank and she has to drag the giant box inside 😆

View attachment 190697
Two new pairs of underwears for her in that big box................................

let me know how that works out ;)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Two new pairs of underwears for her in that big box................................

Dead man walking.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

If it was true I might actually be mad but
Big Brother Fight GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Parts are basically all in for the efi fuel system, just need to get started.

Wally 525
New spectra GN hanger
EFI baffled tank
JIC adapters

And a happy accident 6 Holley 210 injectors that are total overkill that I bought because my buddy who bought the wagon had them.

I scrounged up most of the parts for the wiring upgrade, metripack terminals and GM iac plug. Just need to buy the bulkhead from racetronix and a fuel filter mount.

Oh, and I bought the same scummit poly bushing kit that I put in the 2+2. Price is right and they are a mid poly blend that is firm but not hockey puck hard. I'll see if lighting strikes twice and none of the bolts break (knock on wood). The bushings were toast on the 2+2 and it has half the miles and is 5 years newer than the Cutlass, and both spent most of their life in Texas so they were pretty squishy.

PXL_20220125_014532518.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Finally called Husek about trans stuff and got a better feeling. He actually picks up the phone and talked my ear off (In a good way) of what his builds are and trying to build a combo for my goals. He is really a valve body guru and looks holistically at the springs and valves from what I gather instead of just tossing a spring in places and making neck snapping shifts.

He takes my valve body in, takes a look through it and changes stuff from there instead of just shotgunning a trans-go shift kit on it. Aparently he's familiar with the CA 2+2 valve body and said it's not terrible but theres some valves that he'd change.

Took the pump apart on his suggestion to get a final idea on what parts I need to source.

Had a small groove in the back half but I should be able to clean it up on the lathe.
PXL_20220220_234530471.jpg
PXL_20220220_232415172.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ordered the last of my fuel system parts that I know I need for the EFI fuel system. Plans have altered slightly just due to my inability to get trans parts on order and being busy with bathroom remodel and trying to get my master's thesis done. I just ran out of time to get the entire swap done this winter like I originally planned and with spring around the corner I want to put this car back in storage once the tracks open back up. I need to get back on the 2+2 so I can refine my drag racing launch and try to get it in the 10's consistently this summer.

I am NOT going to get the trans rebuilt right now. Same with building the 8.5 rear end, going to the dynamic EFI computer, swapping to the bigger turbo or building a new downpipe. I am going to work on that this summer as I don't need the cutlass here to do that.

So the plan for this spring (april) is-
-Swap the carb fuel tank and lines for EFI stuff
-Swap the carb turbo 3.8 for the SFI 4.1 in the exact configuration it came out of the wagon. It ran fine, just had frustratingly poor diagnostics/tuning with the stock chip ECM, and the turbo leaks a bit and smokes a little on startup and under boost.
-Reuse the existing 2004r that is in the car now (it won't handle full power hits but that's fine), all it has is a cut down governor for better speed shifts. Maybe swap the servo to a slightly larger one I have on the shelf and check clearance on the band.

Since the car is already set up for buick V6 and 2004r it's almost a one-for-one swap minus some wiring and fuel system. Make sure it drives, and then put it back in storage for the summer and swap with the 2+2. When the 2+2 doesn't need work I will plug away at the rear end and trans rebuild and then swap those winter of 22/23.

Plans would be different if I had more than 1 stall to put stuff at home or free/reasonable storage that wasn't 150 miles away. Until I can put a plan together to add onto the garage at home (expensive and lots of logistics), convince Dad to build his shop, or find some reasonably priced local shop space (not viable as 2 stall shop rentals/commercial property in the MSP area are idiotically expensive, like $1500-2500/month for BASIC stuff) I am going to have to be in this odd flippy-floppy thing.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor