A few G/A body Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZQ8Dude

n00b
Aug 13, 2006
Hello,new to the forum. I am rolling around the idea of a project A/G body. However i have some Qs to help me decide.

first off How much should i expect to pay for a running A/G body? I dont really care what engine/transmission as long as it is floor shifter setup and not 3 on the tree.

Then,how hard is an engine swap. like an L98/LT1/LB9 swap? Im guessing i would need a new engine mounts? I know i will need new transmission mounts because i would like to convert the car to a 5spd.

Are there companies that make parts to style a G/A body like a Grand national?? I love the styling of them so i would want to make it like a grand national but not paint it black or badge it.

To answer your questions, if you're lucky, you can find good deals on clean A/G body cars, sometimes for as little as $300.00-$500.00 depending on location, body style of the car, etc. Depending on where you live, if you're in an area where rust is an issue, then you need to watch for rust in the rear quarters and in the frame rails at the rear behind the rear wheels. As for the engine swap, I think your best bet for info would be to check out www.montecarloss.com. As for a crossmember, you could check out www.gforcecrossmembers.com. There are a number of companies that have body panels. The one that comes to mind for me is Lauren Engineering in California. Of course, there are others out there as well. Other members here will probably have some suggestions

The G-Bodys represent a lot of cars from 5 divisions of GMC made over a period of 11 years; that's millions and millions of vehicles. Any of the SBC engines are a relatively easy swap but the new generation (LS1, LS6 etc.) are a little more difficult but it has been done plenty of times. Lots of bolt on styling stuff, especially for the Montes and Elkys.

Try a T6 if you can find/afford one. One of my friend works on a 87 camero with a built LT1(he estimates 400-450 hp before the bottle) a T6 and 4:10 rear gears. It tears up the street/strip and he can drive it on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor