A few overhaul pics, more to be added in time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
Picked up my Cutlass a few weeks ago, she had froze calipers and the rotors'n drums needed turned and all four shoes needed replaced. So while I had the breaks off I figured I'd sandblase the rust off the parts and rehit w/ high temp paint.
To put her back on the road I'm gonna need to finish the breaks, drain the rear end and refill. Oil change & plugs, along with transmission fluid & filter change. I'll be adding pic's as time goes by of my build/restoration

Rotors after being turned but before they were sandblasted:

OldsRestoRotorsBefore.jpg

OldsRestoRotorsBefore2.jpg

Rotors after I blasted them:
OldsRestoRotorsAfter.jpg

OldsRestoRotorsAfter2.jpg

Rear diff. cover after I blasted it:
OldsRestoDiffCoverAfter.jpg

More updates/pic's to come

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I don't remember, do these discs have replaceable bearing races? If so, I'd plan on doing that. And make sure the insides are SUPER clean before reassebly.

Just saying.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
supercrackerbox said:
I don't remember, do these discs have replaceable bearing races? If so, I'd plan on doing that. And make sure the insides are SUPER clean before reassebly.

Just saying.

Yes, they are replaceable.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
supercrackerbox said:

Just saying.

Baught the bearings, I will be replacing them before they go back on the car.

Heres a pic of the diff cover back on after paint and new hardwear:
030509063.jpg

And here is a Pic of the break dust sheilds before I blsted & painted them. They're out in the shop drying now.
030509054.jpg

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
cutlassrebuild.jpg

Dust Sheilds & rotors are done drying and back on with good bearings & new rubber break lines. I went ahead and painted the new calipers red, I thought it would accent the car well and now that the wheels are back on Im happy with my choice. Sorry I have forgot to bring my camera out to the shop the past few nights, more pics to come.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
030509079.jpg

Wheels Back on.
030509080.jpg

Replaced transmission fluid gasket & filter
030509081.jpg

Sand Blasted, painted and replaced the hardware for the lower crossmember
030509083.jpg

Valve cover gasket and I had to weld and reseal the filler back on.
030509084.jpg

Replaced some of the hack wireing that came with the car
030509090.jpg

030509091.jpg

030509092.jpg

More to come

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
Silly minor updated pics.
Replaced all the Radiator hoses and thermostat, plugs wires & both cover gaskets. That passenger side was a b*tch.
Tinted the quarter windows, haven't had any time to tint the rear.
Its time for new tires, trying to figure out how wide I can get on the rears.
I'll keep adding pics as time goes by.
Tinted3.jpg

Tinted2.jpg

Tinted1.jpg

:friday:

Oh yea, the thermostat housing was a nightmare to get off and back on with that stupid little tube on the passenger side of the housing on it. Glad its done but F*CK

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
Blake442 said:
Assuming you have 15x7 rims, I'd go with 255/60R15 in the rear. I wouldn't go any wider than that without stepping up to a wider rim.

No they're either 14x6's or 14x7's. More than likely x6's knowing the original owner.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I wanted to sell my car after replacing the thermostat! I still have A/C and everything is stock so there were so many hoses and wires I couldnt even find the s o b for a while. Then that little limp dick extra hose thingie wouldnt allow it to be moved. Every hose clamp was facing an impossible angle to get a screw driver or wrench on. I seriously wished I had removed the entire intake manifold before I got started. My back hurt for 3 days. I remember changing these in 10 minutes 30 years ago.

By the way, nice upgrades on your car! I put 265/50/15 on 8" rims and they rubbed a bit. It looks cool but I dont need that much rubber anyhoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor