A good day with the El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I bought my 84 last summer but do to Covid the DMV was a mess for months. Around Oct I finally got her registered and titled. Had her in the shop for a few months with all sorts of work, I posted in other threads. I've taken her around the block a few times but with bad blinkers and that smell of stuff burning off the motor, which made my physically sick, I didn't take it far. Until yesterday. I fixed the blinkers, charged the batter, gunked the motor and decided to run a bunch of errands. Had her out for about 45 minutes making various stops and even had her on the highway for a bit. Had to floor it to get up to 65 mph and took a bit but we got there. She runs well for an old car with a warn out leaky motor and with brakes, shocks, etc she's safe to drive. It felt really good to drive this car.

Really good. I'm going to take her out again today for a run and tomorrow she'll be back in the shop for a new steering box, 4 wheel alignment and a few other minor items. I'll post a few El Camino specific questions over the next few days as I plan out my next few projects.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sounds like it was worth the wait,a look @the front end is always a good safe bet,especially when the car's newer to you.

Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
sounds like it was worth the wait,a look @the front end is always a good safe bet,especially when the car's newer to you.
Car has all new brakes, 4 new tires, all new springs and shocks, swapped out for a used 84 trans new sway bar end links, new battery. Everything under the car looks good, no signs of damage, and no rust except for some minor at the bottom of the doors. That's why I bought this car. The inspection sticker is from 2011 and is in perfect condition. No sunlight fading so I know this car was garage kept.

I'm adding a new steering box, a rear sway bar and tomorrow.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Had it out again today, a 20 minute trip to White Castle. Sat in line for 30 minutes, no issues with the car. 25 minute drive home. I took a little longer cause I like to eat my burgers in the car. I also like the way it makes the car smell (White Castle, not McD's) Looks like I got a driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor