A Little Fusible Link Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
As some of you folks know I redid the fusible links on my car months ago. Last night I saw a post on FB about a guy looking to repair the links in his car. It sounded like he thought the plastic barrels were the actual links. I started to look at different sites to see what those barrels are actually called. I read on another forum that theyre made of a phenolic plastic thats supposed to be fire proof so if the link wire burns it wont travel past the barrel. That makes perfect sense.
The odd thing is theres no way of reproducing them if you do a repair. Its too bad they dont make a fireproof shrink tubing. Crimp them, shrink them and take your chances ! LOL
I also read that youre not supposed to solder the fusible link wire to the harness wire. The solder can wick into the fusible link and damage it by lowering the resistance.
Figured this might be good info for someone doing this in the near future.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are fusible links that you can use which are disposable and easy to replace , you just need to find a holder for them and do a little bit of wiring...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor