A little help here 84 Cutlass Calais A/C Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
I have no High Speed Fan function. When tracing the wiring I found a plug end disconnected [See pics ] I have removed the ECM and wiring from the car carefully I thought. I understand that the ECM does not control the A/C . I kept the old ECM engine harness but have not found any corresponding connection to the one in questions. I see that the plug in question contains the Red Hot feed wire for the High Speed relay, A light green and darker green which runs to the A/C pressure switch as well as a black wire. I have looked at some wiring diagrams on the car and do not see any mention of the connection or a control relay if one is used. I am hoping that someone here has knowledge or experience with the A/C circuit. Oh yes the car has a 3.8L V-6. Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Attachments

• Cutlass AC Wiring 2.jpg
    Cutlass AC Wiring 2.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 400
  • Cutlass AC Wiring.jpg
    Cutlass AC Wiring.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 370

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
This is what mine looks like...same as yours, 84 3.8 and no computer..In the top picture you should have the purple, the black and gray plug with blue wire. The green ones go to the dryer. The middle picture is the high speed relay seen behind the dryer. The bottom pic is where that plug plugs in to the harness behind the carb. If its just high speed its most likely the relay behind the dryer. You can see the two screws holding it in the top pic 20191013_194834.jpg 20191013_194851.jpg 20191013_200336.jpg

Last edited:

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
This is what mine looks like...same as yours, 84 3.8 and no computer..In the top picture you should have the purple, the black and gray plug with blue wire. The green ones go to the dryer. The middle picture is the high speed relay seen behind the dryer. The bottom pic is where that plug plugs in to the harness behind the carb. If its just high speed its most likely the relay behind the dryer. You can see the two screws holding it in the top pic View attachment 125842 View attachment 125843 View attachment 125844
Check for 12vdc on the both side of the big red wire in the plug in last pic.
If 12vdc on both sides the high speed relay is bad, follow harness to relay in front on fan blower motor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A lot of times the connector with the large red power wire gets corroded.

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Wow why am I not surprised at the responses. This is great!! Onehit thanks for the pics they show me the problem. The harness I sent the pics of is Not plugged in to the the one that runs behind the carb.
I must have unplugged it and mis ran the other half somewhere during my de smogging adventure . Now the fun begins to find the other half . Hoffa65 , 565 bbchevy , and pagrunt Thank You for the info on
red power wire and circuit. You all have my Thanks. Just goes to show sometimes you don,t know what you don,t know/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor