Status
Not open for further replies.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
JayPat83 said:
oranGekrate said:
You sir are the Mad Scientist of the datsun world. Your wagon is fantastic. I love these cars, had a couple sedans myself in the day. Nothing like this though. Had several buddies that road coursed them. Great cars. Met my wife driving one. I knew she was a keeper when she kept hanging out with me despite my datsuns. :mrgreen:

And stays with you despite the lemans wagon :wink: j/k I see a lot of those in the Knoxville area

Uhmm, the lemans IS the wifes car lol. Way to modern for me. I just get to fix it and test drive it. :mrgreen:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Finished blasting the wheel hoops and centers today...finally. Boss is in Vegas this week so I plan to stay late a couple nights and chip away at this project. It's taken forever to get this far. Mostly because I'm a slacker.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I want to see what happens with those rims.

I had a set of the 5-spoke Malibu rally wheels (with the pentagonal caps and the red insert) on my original wagon. I later found a set of the S10 rims that used the same stamped center welded into a 15" hoop with a bead to fit the 14" center.

If it wouldn't look totally ridiculous, I would wish for the same center installed in a 17" or 18" hoop. OPGI has the N90 aluminum Monte Carlo rims reissued in a 17" version - this is a good 'reimagining' of the design in a larger diameter. I wonder if I'll ever see such a repro in the future.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Wheels are mostly done. I MIG welded the inner seam then had a guy I know TIG the outer seam because I wanted it to be a visible weld.

Blasted them one more time then hit them with some black sealer primer, silver ground coat, bronze, bronze, clear, and clear. The color is called Tuscan Olive but was in the bronze family. Totally different than what I had initially planned but when I went to the paint store the original choice looked horrible against the color of the car and the Olive has a flake in it that is almost the same gold tone. It's really hard to capture with my phone -- you really need to see them in person.

These were a pain to mount since the hoops were upside down and I didn't want to damage the fresh paint. The project isn't quite done yet as I plan to redline the tires for contrast. I have a set of caps but they're in pretty poor shape so I'm on the lookout for nicer a permanent set. I just hung them on the tabs to snap a quick pic so you guys could see where I'm headed.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I like Datsun some are so cool we use to put rotarys in most the old school ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I built a pretty simple jig fixture. Since the wheels I had on the car before were the same size and offset that I wanted to keep, I just started with an old rotor bolted to the original wheel and welded the locating points to that. Then when I set the new centers and hoops on the jig I just tacked them together before putting them on a tire balancer to check for runout. Then MIG'd a couple beads and rechecked. Then just go to town. They're not perfect but better than a lot of rims I see on customers' cars that come in. I also checked the rims' balance before mounting tires and was surprised to find that none were more than 1/2 oz. Not too bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor