A new & improved thread on my exhaust joys. Making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What kind of plates are you gonna run on it? If you run classic plates you don't need emissions and if you run antique plates you don't need safety or emissions. Theres all kind of stipulations that come with those plates but from what I understand they are pretty lightly enforced.
I want to keep the Zoo plate I've had since '96. But thought about putting on a year correct yellow plate ($120+) to renew it as a "personal" plate-get a current personal plate with the yellow's numbers on it & use the yellow. Then I could get another Combat Infantry Badge plate for my service. As for the Classic/Antique I have heard too many B.S. stories on what I have to have/can't have from the enhanced inspection garages I'm loosing interest in getting one (& I see too many POS's out there & wonder how in the hell they could of qualified-not supose to have a bowling ball size hole in the quarter with those plates.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thats looking good ! did car come with 4 speed or did you install ?
I converted it about 20 years ago. It is almost 100% factory-like, the Hurst shifter & blacked out OD speedo plate are the only incorrect parts. I wish I would of found a '79-'81 coulmn instead of the '78 one.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
I converted it about 20 years ago. It is almost 100% factory-like, the Hurst shifter & blacked out OD speedo plate are the only incorrect parts. I wish I would of found a '79-'81 coulmn instead of the '78 one.
What makes the 79 - 81 more describable ?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What makes the 79 - 81 more describable ?
'78 columns have a splined lower shaft as '79-'88 have a "double D" lower shaft & the '78 has the PIA ignition lock removal as the '79-'88 has a retaining screw. Also that my car is an '81 it would of nice to have a year correct column but thats an OCD issue.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Thats good info , again i have learned something new . Hows the ole sag holding up ? I have had several over the years with no issues at all ! And have one in my 79 malibu now shifts better than my M-22 in my nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor