A pillars: t top vs hard top

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
They are different but the same :D, all the factory did was cut off the top off the hardtop ones. Once removed you can see the tops have a somewhat rougher edge and when comparing side by side are identical except the top portion being cut off.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
You talking about the a pillars themselves or the interior trim? The a pillars are the same except at the top where they’re welded to the roof. A simple explanation would be that the t top pillars have a flat, wide mounting surface where the hardtop are more curved.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
You talking about the a pillars themselves or the interior trim? The a pillars are the same except at the top where they’re welded to the roof. A simple explanation would be that the t top pillars have a flat, wide mounting surface where the hardtop are more curved.

Yeah, I'm talking about the actual pillar.

At first, my body shop questioned my OEM pillar, thinking maybe it was for a hard top.

They reached out again and said they think it would work but would know better after they pull the windshield.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Ahh, never mind then.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
The outside is the same at the windshield. I can snap a pic of my t-top pillar at the top if you would like. Unfortunately I just chucked all my old parts, which included hard top pillars.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Here’s the outside at the top where it meets the header. This is the same on all coupe a pillars, but the headers obviously vary.
9A04D304-0BC2-47DC-A38F-A11802CDECFC.jpeg

And here’s the inside. The header mounting surface is about 3” deep and 4” wide. On the hardtop cars the hardtop cars this inner structure mounting is smaller and a different shape.

2ACF4A24-B7B9-4C9B-AF4A-D20606CC324E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor