A poll on choosing parts for your Gbody

Which factors do you consider when choosing replacement products for your Gbody

• I want only new old stock items and price doesnt matter, I will wait for them to be available if the

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I want factory licensed because I feel the licensing by the factory makes the quality better, cost i

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I want to buy from the business I normally deal with because they carry a wide variety and they warr

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I purchase on price price price, warranty or factory certifications isnt really that much of a conce

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello all! By now most know what I do and create for our cars. I had an interesting thought today. What makes your decision on choosing a part for your car that has been reproduced? Say I am company B and I offer a quality warranted lifetime part for the same money as a factory licensed part with no warranty statement from company A. Which scenario would you choose? As we choose different parts to make we want to spend our R & D wisely and make sure we are delivering what the public wants. We have never had products available in a good manner so we are in unchartered waters. As said before I want to get it right!! So please take this poll. I have a few different scenarios to look at in different manners. I look forward to seeing the answers.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Sadly, I don't fit any of those options...

I look for parts that are quality US made 1st, not really concerned if factory original or licensed. Price is also always an issue, but secondary to US made. If product is a quality product I will spend more $$. I also will always choose to go through a local vendor/supplier/store front vs a chain store if possible.

Given your example I would consider Company B if quality was good and doubly so if US made. Do not take this wrong way. Many vendors have lifetime warranties that are not worth a penny because their quality is so poor you will replace part constantly or multiple times to get a good one, so a warranty is only of value if the Company behind it is committed to quality 1st.

Nov 4, 2012
I don't fit any of these catagories either. I like to buy factory used parts, either from a junkyard or a dealer. This way, they are still gm factory parts, and they are also relatively cost effective.

Given your scenario, I would choose your company. Factory licensing doesn't matter to me, factory made does.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I think I'm a combination of the last two options. Warranties and licensing don't matter much to me as long as the quality of the parts is good. I also don't mind buying from specific places rather than a chain. If a specific company makes a good quality product, I will support them with a purchase and good reviews. Now lastly, of course, this is all assuming I can afford the product in the first place.
So for me it's just a balance of quality(/trust) and price.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
CWPottenger said:
Sadly, I don't fit any of those options...

I look for parts that are quality US made 1st, not really concerned if factory original or licensed. Price is also always an issue, but secondary to US made. If product is a quality product I will spend more $$. I also will always choose to go through a local vendor/supplier/store front vs a chain store if possible.

Given your example I would consider Company B if quality was good and doubly so if US made. Do not take this wrong way. Many vendors have lifetime warranties that are not worth a penny because their quality is so poor you will replace part constantly or multiple times to get a good one, so a warranty is only of value if the Company behind it is committed to quality 1st.

Love the answer.

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Quality. Price only comes into play if it is way out of line. Anything else would be a list of nice to haves that I would us to break a tie between 2 competing parts from different sources.

BuickOldsPontiac said:
Quality. Price only comes into play if it is way out of line. Anything else would be a list of nice to haves that I would us to break a tie between 2 competing parts from different sources.
X2 and I'll add selection is important as well. If I need more than one item, I'll likely buy from the place with all my needs.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: A poll on choosing parts for your Body

None of the above.
I buy parts based on what is Genuine and what I think is a legitimate replacement part.
If it's a good part and I need it I will pay a bit more.
(there really are people on here that actually sell good parts for realistic prices)
But there are Hording *ss holes that think that they can Screw someone over, So Buyer beware..... :roll:

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I don't care where it came from as long as it is as good or better than the original. If I see "OEM" or "factory authorized" I will probably go with those first regardless of warranty. Generally, I don't care about warranties. I can look at a part and usually tell if it is a good or bad part before I even install it. If I get some cheap part that has 1/2 the metal as the original I usually take it back. I've never had a part fail on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor