a racing chip in a 305??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
anyone ever hear of putting a racing "chip" in a cutlass with a 305 in it? if so, what is it and how does it work???

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
its not gonna get you like 20 hp or anything like that, if you have a computer in your car it will adjust yer spark timing a lil bit or the fuel injection timing. its most likely a waste of money. if ya wanna fell like yer car has more hp, put in a 3.73 posi carrier in yer rear and enjoy.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
nah some guy was bumm-talking me earlier today about having that in an old cutlass he "used" to own...just curious about it. any idea what gears come factory in a 87 cutty? i know its limited-slip but what would the ratio be?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
limited slip only came in certain cuttys, but the "normal" gear for the peg leg was 2.41:1, or at least thats what i had in my elky. im not sure what the posi was, prolly a 3.23 -3.73 depending on the model...

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
My 87 came with a 2.14 (not a typo), the lowest numerical gear available that year. If the car has a factory 200-4R it probably has a higher ratio, but still it he 2s.

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
The computers in these cars did very little to be honest, just some carb adjustment and a little bit of timing if i remember correctly. Performance chips don't really apply in any g-body except the turbo buicks and i suppose the 4.3 tbi cars. Like was said above, it was bs.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Its a waste of money.... I bet your car has 2.73s... a set of 3.23s-3.73s would be a better modification IMO

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
im not sure, i havent checked out the transmission yet but its a 3 speed + OD if that tells you anything. ive never put gears in a diff. yet, but from what i read everywhere, 3.73's seem to be what everyone says to put in there. any idea what a set for my cutty would cost?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i actually when i first bought my 85 home was looking to get the Hypertech chip for my GP but for the cost i couldn't justify it back then. I intended on keeping my CCC system and instead bought a computer part # 1228079. I read somewhere that it was good bang for the buck back then, supposedly GM used this part number and others to develop the 350 H.O. for the 3rd gen Camaro. i wanted to get this swap done for my GP back in 00 when i picked up my GP...Never could find or afford the parts back then, don't know if they exist anymore. :roll: anyway here is more info:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performanc ... =1099.html

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i dont want one, i was just wondering how much bullshit was coming out of this guys mouth. i get ALOT of random people coming up to me and start trying to talk about some car they "used" to own, or worse yet their 4 door cutlass. :blam: it gets annoying as sh*t sometimes!! lol why they think i care is beyond me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor