BUILD THREAD A Teenager and His Malibu Wagon.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Very nice and subtle. I've toyed with changing the angle of the wagon spoiler but life keeps getting in the way
I got to admit, it wasn't an original idea on my part. I actually got it from Blake. I attached it using the hinge mounting holes, made two small brackets out of aluminum...simple as pie.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Grabbed some photos of the air dam.

09A6ECB8-FE95-40DA-AEE2-B1699132108B.jpeg CD15A0C8-5814-43EA-86A2-35AF0805F0DB.jpeg 5CC5A9E0-6653-4530-982E-6A815D13CBCF.jpeg

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Headlights, Radiator/Fans, Shocks
Been a busy past couple of weeks but I managed to get some time this past week to put in some more work.
A month or so ago I put in some cheap LED headlights from amazon which work awesome.
unnamed (3).jpg

IMG_4422.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4428.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4425.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4420.HEIC.jpg

I had ordered my aluminum 3-core radiator and dual electric fans from eBay and they appear to be high quality so far. I Pulled off the worn out clutch fan and old shroud and looked at ways to mount the new radiator. It fits in the bottom rubber isolators but on the top, I would have to make my own. I went through one design but finally decided on making 2 metal brackets that would use the original rubber isolators. I welded up some brackets and drilled holes that I could pull the rubber nipple of the isolator through to secure them.
I wired in 2 40 amp relays and also had to change out water necks in order to fit the temp sensor for the relays. I've currently got the wiring thrown in at the moment, but I'll be going back and cleaning it up soon. The car now likes to cruise at 180-185 instead of the 195 before with the stock radiator and fan.

I ordered some AcDelco shocks front and rear to replace the really worn out shocks that were already on the car. On the front, I had to cut off one of the nuts (pictured) and the front also had these helper-like springs on the shocks. I was confused and I asked my father and some people at work and we couldn't figure out what the purpose of the spring was. Ive seen them on rear shocks but never front shocks, any ideas? After getting all 4 shocks on the car handled much better on corners.
Front spring helping shock? \/
IMG_4452.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4450.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4469.HEIC.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Front shocks were just basic "Coil Overs". The bottom base should be adjustable for firmness. It could be previous owner did it for roll or who knows....

If you have issues with roll you can try anti-roll bar with thicker diameter. I think stock was 7/8 or 1 inch, just don't remember.

Reactions: 2 users

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Front shocks were just basic "Coil Overs". The bottom base should be adjustable for firmness. It could be previous owner did it for roll or who knows....

If you have issues with roll you can try anti-roll bar with thicker diameter. I think stock was 7/8 or 1 inch, just don't remember.
That's what I thought at first but there weren't any threads there like a normal Coilover to adjust the perch.
I like the idea of a bigger sway bar. Definitely would like to try to put one on the back when i do a rear end swap

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That's what I thought at first but there weren't any threads there like a normal Coilover to adjust the perch.
I like the idea of a bigger sway bar. Definitely would like to try to put one on the back when i do a rear end swap
If it's not damaged, post the V8 fan shroud on the For Sale section. People look for these.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You can take the staples out and split the two halves to make it fit in a smaller box. Be careful. Very brittle after baking for 40 years.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Another thought on the airdam is using a flexible airdam/deflector off of an older S-10 or C-10? pickup.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor