A value in original HVAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
Doesn't appear you'll be talking him out of keeping the A/C unit. So as long as y'all are happy with a plate, go for it. Neither the HVAC casing or plate are very attractive so doing it for aesthetics reasons are a toss up, but I'd rather have the option of basic air flow besides rolling down the windows. Can't be weight savings since it's a street car. A few pounds isn't going to make a hill of beans difference there.

There will be times you're going to miss it. Guaranteed. But if you ever sell it, some people will want the option of A/C and heat/defrost and will limit your potential customer base. I know I'd pass on that right now.
It's just so big. I'm planning an Ls swap and that HVAC takes up so much space. I just want a clean looking engine bay.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I get it. But somehow a clean engine bay isn't quite as neat when you're driving down the road sweating/freezing your azz off. Although I knew a guy in high school with a Nova, 396 and headers. Took all his crap out like that and then took off his home-made cover plate in the winter and the heat came in. Although there wasn't much temp control with it. Not to mention if there was an exhaust leak! I guess he didn't think about that back then.

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
I get it. But somehow a clean engine bay isn't quite as neat when you're driving down the road sweating/freezing your azz off. Although I knew a guy in high school with a Nova, 396 and headers. Took all his crap out like that and then took off his home-made cover plate in the winter and the heat came in. Although there wasn't much temp control with it. Not to mention if there was an exhaust leak! I guess he didn't think about that back then.
I live in Michigan and this car will never be driven in the winter. I like to drive with the windows down in the summer. My dilemma is if I remove and store the unit, I'll never use it and if somebody out there has a broken or missing piece that really wants there ride to be complete, I'd love to help them out. Then again if I someday sell the car, yes it would be great to have the complete system to with it.
Indecision is gonna be the death of me...

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I had taken mine out originally years ago with the mindset it will never be driven in bad weather. But on those clear cold starry october cruise nights it was a cold uncomfortable ride home. It has a non ac box now and i welcome the defrost /heat this fall

Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Another drawback is that removing AC = stinky sweaty seats. Rolling the window down doesn’t mean jack and you will still sweat. I live in Michigan and there’s no way I will do without AC ( it gets stupid humid and hot) To each his own I guess. Personally I think an AC delete plate on the firewall looks like a hack job. An LS swap can be done easily with the factory AC box.

• Agree
  • Winner

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Both of my cars have the heat/ac removed. It wasn't until they became caged race cars was the decision made to do such. I believe it will hurt the value of your car and I would at least put a non a/c box as
Drkuhar did which leaves a lot of room. If your removing it thinking $$ you will be lucky if you sell it cause I couldn't give mine away.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I think all the factory A/C parts would bring $500 or so. All parts on the engine compartment side and all under dash components and all in good condition.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
RE: The Drivetrain.

The BUICK 3.8 V6 could be worthwhile to a Jeep guy. A lot of CJ5s, CJ6s, Commandos etc were powered by Buick 225s and the 3.8 is a pretty easy replacement for someone that has a blown up 225. If it's a Chevy V6, well that's probably worth whatever the scrapper will give you for it.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Both of my cars have the heat/ac removed. It wasn't until they became caged race cars was the decision made to do such. I believe it will hurt the value of your car and I would at least put a non a/c box as
Drkuhar did which leaves a lot of room. If your removing it thinking $$ you will be lucky if you sell it cause I couldn't give mine away.
I asked about an A/C box at my local pick -n-pull, they said $25, but then I did not have one pulled and setting on the counter, staring at them face to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor