? about amp fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
This question shows what I’m not sure of. I think I know the answer, want to hear it from people that know TONS more than me about auto electronics. Here goes, I’m installing a Lokar LED shift indicator. It says to use a 15 amp circuit. Ignition hot. Is it ok to use a 20 amp or should I put in a 15 amp fuse. You can stop laughing now, I’m learning this stuff as I go. I couldn’t believe what all is involved in this install. Install a special nut and cable arm on the trans arm, run a cable to the right side of every GM transmission except a 400, to a sensor box that you mount to the trans pan bolts. Then you hide they’re ( secret) decoder box. I put mine in the glove box. They have every position where every wire is to be attached ( thank God) well labeled. Theres about 15 different wires depending on your trans to connect to the decoder box. I’ll be wiring into the box and testing today. That’s why I’m asking the amp question.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
This is all the parts that don’t show

Attachments

• 61EBA0A3-79A1-4C38-B4DF-DEBA7A3B7AA9.jpeg
    61EBA0A3-79A1-4C38-B4DF-DEBA7A3B7AA9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
15a seems high, but 20a won't hurt it. Fuses are for protection from shorts- they blow before the wire or component burns up. You're good; send it.

*I say 15a seems high because I would think the indicators are LED(?). If so, the unit should run on something as light as a 5a. If they recommend a 15, do that, though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
A th350 that I eliminated everything to do with the column shifter . So I’m installing this shift indicator kit.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
This question shows what I’m not sure of. I think I know the answer, want to hear it from people that know TONS more than me about auto electronics. Here goes, I’m installing a Lokar LED shift indicator. It says to use a 15 amp circuit. Ignition hot. Is it ok to use a 20 amp or should I put in a 15 amp fuse. You can stop laughing now, I’m learning this stuff as I go. I couldn’t believe what all is involved in this install. Install a special nut and cable arm on the trans arm, run a cable to the right side of every GM transmission except a 400, to a sensor box that you mount to the trans pan bolts. Then you hide they’re ( secret) decoder box. I put mine in the glove box. They have every position where every wire is to be attached ( thank God) well labeled. Theres about 15 different wires depending on your trans to connect to the decoder box. I’ll be wiring into the box and testing today. That’s why I’m asking the amp question.
20 is fine for a shift indicator, it just means more current can pass through before the fuse blows up.

It's not like you're dealing with a circuit that would make the vehicle a problem to drive, in a worst case scenario type of situation.

So honestly, a 5 amp difference won't be a huge deal, but anything more might damage whatever you're trying to install. It's rated at 15 amps for a reason, because that's what the circuit is designed to handle. Now, obviously any fuse would be better than nothing, but still it's best to use the proper rating considering a pack of ATG fuses are like 5 bucks dude lol.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I have a crap load of fuses. Put a 15 in, got it all together and programmed

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor