AC delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Whats the cheapest way to do AC delete with regard to the firewall portion? Obviously the evap box would be removed. From there how do we get a clean looking heater box only in there?

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Heres how mine looks.

IMG_0805.JPG

I used an AC delete plate;
A cowl panel peice;
And a Vintage Air underdash heat/defrost unit;
Works pretty good,except if you use the defrost for any more than a few minutes you need to crack the window a bit to let fresh air in or it will fog up on the inside of the glass.
Heres how I mounted the heater on the inside of the delete plate;

DSC_0350 (2016_04_18 13_36_38 UTC).JPG

Heres how I mounted the controls;

DSC_0067.JPG

Guy

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I also found a link to a write up I did while installing mine;
Guy

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
No knowing what car you have ,The cheapest way would be to buy a heat only parts car ( the same model / whole car ) to strip all required items from it ...........Including from behind the dashboard ducting , controls , etc...........then sell off some parts from the parts car and /or sell it for scrap.

my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I have an extra ac box. I was thinking of trying to cut it down and reconfigure it to heat only. I definitely wouldn’t recommend removing it altogether. I did and I’m very unhappy I did it.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I never knew the cowl panel was available. I cut up and modded my original cowl panel by sealing it off and then adding a drain tube for water and mounting the windshield washer squirter to it.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
They also make an aftermarket a/c delete/heat only replacement cover that adds some depth vs. the flat sheet covers:

Attachments

• heat_only_cover.jpg
    heat_only_cover.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 215

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Price isn’t too bad on that one either.
Agreed.
I'm not a fan of the flat plate swaps. They work on stripped down cars that are more business oriented but leave a void for resto-rods or drivers. I have been looking for a budget friendly alternative beyond a factory heat-only housing since they're worn, aged, & not easily found in my area. The aftermarket one seems to fit that need.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A idea I'm toying with is to make a plug/filler to block off the opening where the evaporator sticks out so for down the road I change my mind I can easily convert back to a fuctioning A/C unit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor