AC disaster- RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, like a total Dick I stupidly overcharged my AC on the '99 Sunfire because it wasn't cooling well. That blew the compressor and sent debris all through the system. My orifice tube is clogged with metal shards, the accumulator has powdery metal in the oil, and the condenser is clogged too. So I'm replacing the whole system, that's why I posted about the name-brand parts being made in China. This is such a bitchy b*st*rd of a job I want to do it right. I want to weight the R-134 I put in, not just keep adding while watching the temps. I will be using a 30lb can. What can I use to weigh the R-134 without buying an expensive electronic scale?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Re: AC disaster

Could you use a bathroom scale? I use mine to weigh stuff for shipping but it is digital with a 5lb min so if something is less that I add a 5lb weight on it.
They also have those big scales that you hang fish on, just throwing ideas out there.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

Bonewagon said:
Well, like a total Dick I stupidly overcharged my AC on the '99 Sunfire because it wasn't cooling well. That blew the compressor and sent debris all through the system. My orifice tube is clogged with metal shards, the accumulator has powdery metal in the oil, and the condenser is clogged too. So I'm replacing the whole system, that's why I posted about the name-brand parts being made in China. This is such a bitchy b*st*rd of a job I want to do it right. I want to weight the R-134 I put in, not just keep adding while watching the temps. I will be using a 30lb can. What can I use to weigh the R-134 without buying an expensive electronic scale?
I wish I knew, a digital scale is the way to go but I am in the same boat not wanting to pop for one.
I have to screw with the wife's 04 Cavalier every summer.
It s so freaking hot here some times it's a fine line with the 134-A charge, High temps, high Dew point and humidity are a b*tch here in PHX in mid summer.
I have found some good tools at Pawn shops, but that's a hit and miss deal.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Hmmmm, digital bathroom scale- I like it! But I'd have to keep the Wife off it, I usually make her use the weigh station on the Interstate. :rofl:

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

My wife found a digital scale online for like $20 and the increments are 1kg or .2 lbs. I think I will try it out. Now for the bad news. I've been working on this for 3 days already and I just finally got to the HVAC module but I can't figure out how to get it open, and I have the factory manual! . I will never complain about a G-body ever again! :evil:
P5270395.jpg
P5270396.jpg
P5270397.jpg

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA

Holly flock batman! After seeing those pics you're really deep into that issue. My condelences.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009

Aftermarket time to Remove and reinstall without a re-charge is 6.6 Hours...Do you have a way to evacuate the system? It might be cheaper to take to an a/c shop after you have installed the parts to an evacuate and recharge...

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

When I have a full load and especially an overcharge like this I use my buddy's recycling machine. He's glad to get free R-134 and I don't break the law. This was the hardest HVAC housing I've ever dealt with. Luckilly I'm retired and can take my sweet ol' time. Speaking of time, I believe it's Miller time! :roll:
P5280400.jpg
P5280401.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

I think I'd rather pull my engine out, rebuild it and reinstall it rather than have to do that job your doing on the ac.
It reminds me of when I had to put a blend door actuator in my Lincoln, it's right next to the firewall but the only access was to take the dash off. Fun Stuff!

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

While I'm at it I am ripping out a POS remote alarm/door lock/trunk set up that some prior owner had the bad idea of having installed. Not only did it work when it felt like it, it was installed by a twist-n'-tape technician, with the usual dead ends, duplicate circuits, and miles of electrical tape. Good riddance!
P5280403.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor