AC schreader valve leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My 134a low side schreader valve was leaking pretty fast so I replaced the valve. The kit I bought came with both green and black color valves. The original was black but I thought 134a used green so I used that. It leaked just as fast. Then I tried the black one and it lasted a couple of weeks before it leaked out. I'm thinking the valve core seat is damaged or defective. The hose it is on is new so that would really be annoying. This other kit came with an aluminum fitting that appears to be a new core seat. I guess it screws onto the old seat and acts as a repair? Am I correct? I have never had a leaking valve so I am in the dark here. Please advise.
ImageHandler.ashx

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Upon further examination this fitting does not accept any of the valve cores that come in the kit. Is it a stand-alone repair? There is a bit of lock-tite on the threads so I am guessing it is meant to stay there permanently.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK- the little fitting fits nothing. Not low side, not high side. Back to square one.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
yep, pretty much went thru same process recently on high side hose on my El C. Ended up replacing metal line. Good news is it's fixed and I was able to buy a clone replacement metal line for a reasonable amount of money

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This IS a new line. That's the exasperating part. They make loads of R12 to R134 adapters and that would solve this. I guess no one bothered to make a simple fix item like this that would save endless headaches. So I re-tested the valve with a sniffer and it was leaking. So I replaced the valve yet again and recharged the system. Sniffer still gets a whiff of freon. Then I noticed the cap was pretty chewed up inside. I pried out the seal and it was hard and distorted. I found a proper sized green R134 seal in my collection and replaced it with that. I know it's not the primary seal but maybe the tiny leak will be contained by the new seal in the cap. Keeping fingers crossed.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The cap is part of the sealing system so make sure the o-ring is there . I know, a real PITA on a seemingly easy thing

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The cap is part of the sealing system
And when you search this problem there is no consensus on that. Some claim the valve is the only seal that counts. Some claim the cap is the seal. I'm guessing it is a combination of both that do the trick. But am I right thinking the green seals/O-rings are for R134? And black is for R12? I wonder why the green leaked so badly. Chinesium?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
And when you search this problem there is no consensus on that. Some claim the valve is the only seal that counts. Some claim the cap is the seal. I'm guessing it is a combination of both that do the trick. But am I right thinking the green seals/O-rings are for R134? And black is for R12? I wonder why the green leaked so badly. Chinesium?

I had this same conversation several years ago with the GM training guy and it is a combination. The seals on the shrader valve, the cap and the seal in the cap

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well I hope so. I'll be glad to kick my own butt around the block if it turns out I was overlooking the simplest fix of all- an O-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor