AC to non-AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
On our cars, is the firewall hole the same for AC and non-AC cars? My Cousin wants my non-AC housing and ductwork for his used-to-be-AC equipped car. He says the firewall hole is the same but I'm not so sure.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Same hole for all, GM finally wised up for 78

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Whew! Thanks!!! Now I have something he needs. Hee Hee.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes , the same on my Monte I removed the AC box and installed a new GM non AC box so I would have the clearance for the BBC without using a plate to cover the hole

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The bigger headache is pulling the dash to replace the AC ducts with non AC ducts. Not sure about the other three divisions I know the Chevys us a smaller glovebox pocket/liner in the non AC cars.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oh I'm keeping my AC. As I get older I appreciate it more than ever. My Cousin wants the non-AC because he can't get at his spark plugs with his headers and other race-crap he foolishly crammed the engine bay with. Even with AC my 301 is super easy to get at the plugs.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
As others have stated the hole in the firewall is the same but the ducts under the dash are different between ac and non ac they are also different between divisions. I converted my 80 Cutlass to non ac back in the late 90's and that also used a smaller glove box liner with non ac. Pretty straight forward conversion if you have all the CORRECT parts its just time consuming.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor