AC troubleshoot R134-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2020
81 El camino with updated ( within the last couple years) R134-a system. Stopped working at the end of last summer of 2019.
Just getting around to trying to trouble shoot it and I'm coming across a few problems and not sure where to start in order to trouble shoot.

First thing is the AC system stopped blowing completely. I took the Blower motor out to look at it and see what condition it was in. When I put it back in - it started blowing again.
Second thing is the compressor clutch stopped engaging. And this is where I am now.

What I've done to try to fix it -
1- replaced the blower motor relay
2- replaced the entire compressor and clutch ( added oil after evacuating system)
3- I found a rotten connection - I cut the connection out and hardwired the wires
4- I was having trouble refilling the freon into the lower pressure point so I replaced the adaptor to no avail - The system still will not take any Freon from the can - I'm wondering if this is because the system won't turn on, there is no air flowing anywhere.

Any advice or a next step would be appreciated. Thanks

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
First thing would be to get the blower motor working. If it worked and now stopped? It may be a bad motor. If you don't have the equipment to work on the A/C system? It probably would be cheaper to have someone charge it that knows how it works. If the clutch does not engage? It could be a few things. Bad wiring? Bad head unit switch? Bad low pressure switch? Evacuate the system, and put some freon in. After one can the clutch should engage. If it doesn't? Try putting a jumper wire in the plug of the low pressure switch on the dryer.

Reactions: 2 users
Jun 26, 2020
Ok cool, Thanks.
I put in a new Blower Motor this morning. Still not blowing anything. When I turn the dash switch to "on" either "hi or low air" I can hear something happening but no air.
I tried to add freon again with the new blower motor but the system won't take the air from the canister.
Any ideas? Thanks

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you pull a vacuum on the system after replacing the compressor?

If you are using the compressor to pull the refrigerant in, you'll have to jumper the pressure switch to make the compressor run.

It would be best to have someone with a refrigerant charging station do it, but I get wanting to do it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Does the blower work on speeds 2 or 3?
Find the high blower relay and do you have current on the big red wire?
Is there R134a in the system?
Is the compressor engaging?

Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
How did you evacuate the system? Do you have a set of gauges and a vacuum pump? Very important to pull and hold vacuum or you are wasting your time.

You said it making a noise when you switch the blower on but nothing happens: if high isn’t working and the lower settings it may be a problem with your dash unit switch. Pull it out and check to see if everything looks ok. Also look for brittle vacuum hoses while you are at it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor