Accessing front speakers on a GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

82GrandPrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Is it much work to access the front speakers on a GP? Anyone done it? I'm not familiar with this kind of thing so I'm wondering if I should attempt it myself or just take it to a shop and let them have the headache

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am not sure what GP's have either a full length cover or individual speaker grills but either way they are accessible even thought the area is tight.

82GrandPrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I am not sure what GP's have either a full length cover or individual speaker grills but either way they are accessible even thought the area is tight.
Mine does not have individual grill covers. It appears to be one solid dash piece. Just gotta figure out how remove it

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Unlike any other G-body dash with removable speaker grilles, to access the speakers you either have to remove the dash or pull it away enough to be able to reach the speakers from underneath with an extension.
I replaced the speakers in my GP dash before installing it. In either case, it's not a fun job.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The whole dash has to come out. No way around it, been there done that.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Unlike any other G-body dash with removable speaker grilles, to access the speakers you either have to remove the dash or pull it away enough to be able to reach the speakers from underneath with an extension.
So that GP has the nicest dash layout for gauges but has the absolute worst set up to replace the 3.5 speakers, how does that even happen.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
L
So that GP has the nicest dash layout for gauges but has the absolute worst set up to replace the 3.5 speakers, how does that even happen.
Lol!! I've always wondered about that myself. Why the other cars would have accessible corner speakers, but not Pontiacs...:unsure: However, if you have a center speaker, you can access those with little to no trouble. They have an access panel....go figure.
As much as I love the Pontiac dash, that had got to be the worst feature about it.

• Agree

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Yup got to pull the dash, been there done it. Luckily it was when i replaced the ElCo dash with the GP dash.
Love the new look
20190509_003248.jpg

82GrandPrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Ohhhhh great. That's what I was expecting to hear. Gp has to be the difficult car. Looks like I'm going to the custom car stereo shop. Knowing me the interior would be gutted for for three months before I figure it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor