Accessory Drive Clearance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I'm putting a 5.3L from a 2005 truck into a 1983 El Camino. I have the usual clearance problems between the steering pump pulley and the steering box and I'm pretty sure the alternator is going to poke through the hood. So what's the magic formula? Is there an aftermarket accessory bracket that solves both problems, while keeping the truck PS pump and alternator? Or, do you have to be more creative than that? Thanks for any advice you share.

John

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
LS1 Fbody Accessories.. think outside the box.
I was hoping to use as many of the existing truck accessories (and water pump) as possible. Is it possible to mount the truck accessories to an FBody alternator/PS bracket or does everything need to be swapped from the FBody? Thanks.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
Would a Holley Low Mount 20-155 kit do the trick? It swaps the alternator to the bottom, like an FBody, and the PS pump to the top, but much lower than the truck alternator's position. Has anybody used this bracket in a G Body?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I was hoping to use as many of the existing truck accessories (and water pump) as possible. Is it possible to mount the truck accessories to an FBody alternator/PS bracket or does everything need to be swapped from the FBody? Thanks.
F body spacing is different. Balancer is closer to the engine block than the truck balancer. It's the easiest setup to use, and really you only need the p/s pump with bracket, the balancer, and of course the water pump. Then get an ICT bracket to run the alternator on the passenger side just like a SBC setup. You can use the truck alternator. Plus you don't end up with the ugly 10' long upper radiator hose that the truck system uses.

Here's my F body setup

20210707_212055.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
All of the truck accessories including the high mount alternator fit a G body no problem if you use Holley motor mounts and oil pan. The low mount AC compressor will not fit but Holley make some really nice cast aluminum brackets for a passenger side AC compressor location. Much better than the dirty d*ldo brackets which are poorly made with bolt together plates.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
ICT Billet offers brackets that will repackage the truck accessories you have. Many have swapped to a smaller pulley on the power steering pump to get clearance with the gearbox. Do a search. It's on here (Dorman part number) many times. There is a lower amperage, smaller case truck alternator that many report clears the hood.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My stock Silverado power steering pump pulley fits with an inch to the PS box and the alt clears the hood. I used the small case 06ish alternator since my engine didn't come with an alt. The small case alternators are used in the low opinion regular cab pickups.

k24556

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2021
Has anyone used the LS accessory setup from a C5 or early C6 Corvette? The PS pump is mounted a bit higher and has a reservoir that is separate from the pump that sits inboard of the alternator. I still have to find my “right El Camino, for a 5.3 swap and have watched several Youtube Vids, to answer the same question the OP has. Haven’t found the Vid that really warms my heart on this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor