Add battery acid or distilled water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This makes sense. I always thought the hydrometer reading just showed the state of charge. So if I over-acid it does that mean it will be even more charged? Confusing. I guess I need to test that when I get it home.
"A battery hydrometer is used to test the state of charge of a battery cell. This is performed by measuring the density of the electrolyte, which is accomplished by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte. The greater the concentration of sulfuric acid, the more dense the electrolyte becomes. The higher the density, the higher the state of charge.
Specific gravity is the measurement of a liquid that is compared to a baseline. The baseline is water which is assigned a base number of 1.000. The concentration of sulfuric acid to water in a new golf car battery is 1.280 which means that the electrolyte weighs 1.280 times the weight of the same volume of water. A fully charged battery will test at 1.275 – 1.280 while a discharged battery will read in the 1.140 range. " As for the motor it is unregulated so at 1000 rpm it charges 1 amp and at 5000 rpm it charges at 5 amps. But I mostly start/stop all day long with the fish-finder on and my volt-meter is usually at 12 volts. WOT running it gets to 13-14 volts which is not terrible. At the dock I use a NOCO GENIUS charger that switches to "maintain" mode when the battery is fully charged. My concern is the amount of acid that exits as vapor along with the water. We have all had corrosion around the battery terminals and tray. That is NOT caused by simple water vapor. This from Steve's link: " Never add acid. This would raise the specific gravity too high and cause excessive corrosion. " Only corrosion? " Acid fumes that vaporize through the vent caps, often caused by overcharging, and insufficient battery box ventilation can allow the sulfuric acid fumes to build up and react with the exposed metals." Still confusing. Steve that link is the best I have ever read about batteries- thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have used distilled water, worked fine. I have actually added Vinegar the last few times, also still working fine. I need to splurge for a AGM with a good rating to avoid messing around with this stuff. Either way, batteries don't last longer than 5 years anymore. Heck most don't even make that.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's all about the pH of the electrolyte: too much acid releases gas and eats the lead, not enough and it won't hold a charge, just right gets you magic in the form of electricity!

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK next time I service it I will bring the hydrometer.

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014
OK next time I service it I will bring the hydrometer.
Distilled water only, the water evaporates during heavy charging or overcharging due to heat. The sulfate in the acid is a salt and will not evaporate. Vinegar (acetic acid) will act as a buffer and change the pH of the solution, don't add vinegar. BS Chemistry.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
In between working on the car, I am reading one of those SA publishing books about automotive electrical systems. I actually read about this last night. The inner plates are of two different compositions, that combined with the acid mixture is what causes electricity to flow when there is a connected load between the two posts. It seems that as the battery discharges from use, the acid gets weaker, and recharging it causes the acid to get stronger. Therefore, a properly filled battery will never need anything except distilled water added thereafter, according to the author of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor