Add On gauges - Mechancal or Electric?

Aftermarket gauges - Mechanical or Electric? And Why.....

• Mechanical

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Electric

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So, you want more than the granny speedo and want a triple panel set.
Let's say oil, temp, and volts.
What's your choice, and why?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like mechanical for the oil and water, more accurate and less of chance to fail.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I have installed dozens of aftermarket gauges in a variety of cars over the years. I always choose AutoMeter electric gauges (except for boost gauges, of course). I like electric gauges for their ease of installation as well as flexibility of install location.

• Agree

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Generally speaking, electric gauges are cheaper and easier to install. Mechanical gauges are usually more accurate and a little more costly and a little more involved to install and you need the appropriate senders to go with them..

Gauges are like anything else, you get what you pay for and the sky can be the limit in what you spend.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have installed dozens of aftermarket gauges in a variety of cars over the years. I always choose AutoMeter electric gauges (except for boost gauges, of course). I like electric gauges for their ease of installation as well as flexibility of install location.

so if you like things easy is that why you put a 454 in your GP.....:D

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have also used a variety of gauges over the years in different cars but for any performance application where accuracy is key I have always used Autometer's and I also prefer mechanical gauges (oil and water) and even with a cheap off brands the mechanical gauge is more likely to be more accurate and not fail over the same brand electrical due to the "you get what you pay for senders".
I will also buy the high end electrical gauges that are full sweep just to match the mechanical ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Mechanical.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Electric, I hate the bourdon tube (typically wayyyyy too long, and plastic tubing should be outlawed. Copper tube is OK, and was used by GM "back in the day" on trucks at least. Mostly I prefer the cleaner install of the electrics.

Apples to oranges, probably, due to the resources available, but I'm pretty sure the OEs are OK with electrics on stuff they know people are going to flog that they have to offer a warranty on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Electric, I hate the bourdon tube (typically wayyyyy too long, and plastic tubing should be outlawed. Copper tube is OK, and was used by GM "back in the day" on trucks at least. Mostly I prefer the cleaner install of the electrics.

Apples to oranges, probably, due to the resources available, but I'm pretty sure the OEs are OK with electrics on stuff they know people are going to flog that they have to offer a warranty on.

I use the braided SS hose for my oil, the same hose I used for my brakes....

• Informative
  • Creative

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There's not an "indifferent" selection in the poll. I think the tech is good enough these days, that it doesn't matter (unless you're buying cheap, offshore crap). I never like the size of manual temp thermocouplers and the limitations they create. I also agree that plastic capillary is one of the most dangerous things ever created.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor