Adding an auxilary port to a GM Delco radio/cassette player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Still been doing research on different forums and looking thru youtube for a good, how to, video but haven't had any luck so far. Or if I find something, 99% of the time the original poster wouldn't bother to respond to my tech question. So..., hopefully someone here might be able to help us all out.
Yesterday, I ran across this forum but the way he took pics and explaining it still wasn't clear to me. Can any of y'all make sense of this? http://www.a-body.net/forums/showth...io-Modification-Aux-Input-without-tape-player

I really wanna do this because I like the look of the factory radio but I don't wanna alter/destroy the faceplate like he did. I also don't wanna use a cassette tape adapter. I'd like to run the auxilary port from behind the radio under the dash, carpet and pop up beside my console so that I can plug my iPhone into it and simply lay my phone on top of the console.

Here's youtube vid of one but he's not answering anyone's tech questions.
[youtube]TPl2tB-pv5I[/youtube]

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
Re: Adding an auxilary port to a GM Delco radio/cassette pla

Would be nice. I have just use the cassette adaptor and leave my phone on top of the ash tray lid. I have seen people replace the cigarette lighter with a usb port, but then you would have the chord hanging down.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV

MYFINE79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Brampton, Ontario. CANADA

I had an aux port and cable installed on my original Delco radio/cassette player. The work was done by a shop in New Hartford, NewYork.
The shop is :
Precision Stereo Repair
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 315-797-5219
Robert Pacini

I also had some mod's done to improve the bass & treble. overhaul on the tape player. The aux cable and jack, he can make it any length you like. I mounted my jack in the center console.
The radio is orignal. It sounds great & I run my Ipod through the aux port. Turnaround time was quick. Give him a call or e-mail and he can tell you what he can do for you

FE3X CLONE did this to his. I found this in one of his posts. No details though.

Stock UM6 tape deck. I opened it up and spliced into the wiring running between the tape deck and the amplifier then added a headphone jack. My tape deck has been broken for years but the radio worked fine other than that. So now with the headphone jack, I can plug in an MP3 player and if your listing to the radio, it will override the radio like the tape deck would if you inserted a tape. It allowed me to keep the look of the stock radio but have the much better sound quality of a new radio.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.

You shouldn't alter your radio, and you should just buy one of those 'tape - to - cd' fake cassettes like I did on my Cadillac so I could play mp3 in the car. Walgreens used to sell them for less than $20 but no longer carry it, so you'll have to probably buy it online. It doesn't have perfect sound quality, but it's better than risking messing up the radio so everything continues to look original. Another thing you could do is what a friend of mine did - he left the original radio intact and wired up a completely separate modern unit in the dash compartment and put them on a switch. The gap when he closed the door to the dash was just barely wide enough for the wire leading to the mp3 player to lead out w the door closed. At first I told him I thought it was stupid but he made a good point: Since barely anyone uses maps these days there is still plenty of space for the registration/insurance information under the radio & it's illegal in his city to cary a loaded firearm in the car while driving it so why would he ever even end up using that space for something else? All you have to do is cut out a rectangular portion in the upper corner to mount cage in there

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL

I have seen this before. People have used later model CD players that look the same as a factory cassette player. Fits in car just like cassette player and uses same radio harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor