Adding gauges to a car without them -oem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
my LS has only the idiot lights and a fuel gauge, I'd like to add the oil pressure, temp and volt gauge. I already installed the senders on the engine and tied them to the wires my diagram shows are the correct wires. Do I need to do anything else behind the dash, or do I just pull the 4 pack out and put in the other set? I've read my car won't have the right printed circuit board for the tach, but is everything else there?

Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The oil gauge will need a separate pigtail for the sender. This is for the 305. The oil light pigtail is shared the electric choke (3 wires, 31 tan-oil, 78 light blue-choke, 250 brown-choke power from fuse.) For the gauge converson, the 31 tan wire will need the separate pigtail, the 78 light blue & 250 brown will need another circuit for the choke light (oil warning light) which is 931 dark green/white stripe. You could go into the dash & swap wires in the cluster connector by moving the 31 tan (located between the 25 brown & 35 double green) to the open spot between the 33 double tan & 237 yellow. Then run a wire from the gauge sender to the spot the 31 tan was. This way you can still use light sender with out cutting wires. If you cut the 31 tan, splice the gauge sender pigtail, the splice the the wire for the 931 dark green/white to the tan wire on the pigtail (leave enough wire to work with) & run it to the open spot between the 25 brown & 35 double green. If not using the choke light, use a good crip cap to protect the unused end. www.maliburacing.com is a good site that should have a link to wire diagrams to give an idea what I posted (hope you stayed awake reading it all.) Also, if you got the cluster connector, it will have the ends need to show what goes whwere & wire ends you'll need.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor