Adding Tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

406Boy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
Georgia
I am wanting to add a tachometer to my 87 Monte Carlo LS. It has a 305 V-8 and the gauge cluster from the factory. Just don't have tach. Do I need the TACH FILTER or can I just run the wire straight to the distributor? Any help is appreciated.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i to have an 87 ls and i tried running the wire straight of the cap and it didnt work, i think you need the filter.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I have a '84 Monte w/o the computer.Anyways I ran my tach wire right to the dizzy and it works fine...Never used the filter.

87LS-WITH-AN-LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2010
MIAMI,FL
you dont need the tach filter at all......just run the wire to the neg. side of the dizzy and your good to go

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you only need the filter for the stock gauge

yomincarr

n00b
Jan 6, 2011
hey everyone, i was hoping that someone who is good with wiring could help me out....i didnt do my research before i started the project but i decided to get a tach with clock on ebay to upgrade my original plain clock. I have an 83 elky, and all the other gauges so i got the adaptor to match up with the circuit board and i had no problems putting the tach in. I found the little white wire that is hanging under the dash and using a multimeter determined that it went to the tach pin in the connector. i then added a wire through the fire wall going to the tach position on the distributor. However when i connected the 2 the car wanted to short out and stop running. i then tried connecting it directly to the coil post on the adaptor, still the same thing. Can anyone tell me whats going on? It seems like it should be working fine but i guess its grounding out for some reason, and i have no idea why. Im so baffled, if anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That will happen when you ground the tach terminal on the cap. Use that multimeter to find the short to ground, it may even be in the new tach- you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor