Adding Windshield Antenna cable routing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I got a cable from the JY a long while back and I finally updated my windshield to the one with the antenna.

I used the factory location for the cable (center opening & 2 screw holes) and pushed the cable into the cabin before fastening it down with the 2 screws.

But I can't find the other end inside the car! I've removed the glove box, the RH dash trim / vents, and felt up behind the ducting, under the ducting, over the ducting, over the top of the center vents. I've crawled head-under the driver side dash and reached up there too. I'm using a light; if it was visible, I'd have seen it by now.

Do I need to poke it through the (jute?) firewall sound insulation?

If I get this, I'll try and add pictures of where it comes into the cabin.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can you take out the AC vent in the center of the dash? You might be right that it pushed up under the sound deadener.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I took out the center vent "rectangular cone" (held by 2 screws) and it gave me some clearance. But not enough to feel where the cable is.

Will update when I get further.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
You were totally right! Taking out the center vent piece was key.

There's a ledge of metal behind the firewall metal. It has a dip-down vee. Then the insulation has a "+" cut in it.

It got a whole lot easier with a helper and mech. finger to drag things through. Oh and looking in a car without the dash.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad you figured it out. I did this swap 25 years ago and remember that I did it - just not how. I like the smooth look of no antenna on the fender and FM has nothing for me these days anyway.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
My desire to do this goes back to the 1993 Car Craft buildup of a black 85 SS. I've been meaning to scan those articles in. They used a power antenna. I didn't want something that is somewhat known for breaking.

I hadn't gotten around to installing a hidden antenna of any sort, and I needed a windshield really bad. Sso this was the perfect time to go with the in-glass version. Reception so far seems equal to the fender mast version.

Now I'll have to get around to filling the hole in, and painting a fender to replace the one on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor