Addtional Braces for 1986 MCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumariner

Greasemonkey
Sep 1, 2011
I plan to get the engine bay braces and the rear seat braces for my car. I already have the braces under the engine and radiator. I wanted to know if adding the additional braces be beneficial or a waste of money.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
These rear control arm braces from Hotchkis are a good addition;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-1401/
I also made a rear frame brace,heres a picture;
IMG_1359.jpg

IMO,the extra braces are a good thing for our cars,they add extra strength to the frame and seem to make the car feel tighter.
Guy

Sumariner

Greasemonkey
Sep 1, 2011
I plan add as many braces as I can.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
Sumariner said:
I plan to get the engine bay braces and the rear seat braces for my car. I already have the braces under the engine and radiator. I wanted to know if adding the additional braces be beneficial or a waste of money.

There is one that ties the 2 front frame horns together I believe Kirban is where I got mine is a must.
I had read these frames separate badly when you steer which the F41 braces on the front don't come close to fully fixing.
There right this piece which triangulates the front made a wild different.
UMI sells the ones Guy was talking about, but really only add value if you beat the snot outta the car like hard launches. I bought a set and under normal driving you would not know they are there, but burnouts and such is where they begin to be felt.
Rear seat bracing is good to keep the body from adding roll in corners along with the rad one.
The other underhood ones are just looks since no one road rally's these cars. Running the front rad and rear seat one the body would not flex enough to need the underhood ones and probably why Chevrolet didn't include them on the SS's.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
NY87SS said:
Sumariner said:

There is one that ties the 2 front frame horns together I believe Kirban is where I got mine is a must.
I had read these frames separate badly when you steer which the F41 braces on the front don't come close to fully fixing.
There right this piece which triangulates the front made a wild different.
UMI sells the ones Guy was talking about, but really only add value if you beat the snot outta the car like hard launches. I bought a set and under normal driving you would not know they are there, but burnouts and such is where they begin to be felt.
Rear seat bracing is good to keep the body from adding roll in corners along with the rad one.
The other underhood ones are just looks since no one road rally's these cars. Running the front rad and rear seat one the body would not flex enough to need the underhood ones and probably why Chevrolet didn't include them on the SS's.

There is also aftermarket under engine braces that are more well made than the factory ones.
chassisbrace1.jpg

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
[/quote]

There is also aftermarket under engine braces that are more well made than the factory ones.
chassisbrace1.jpg
[/quote]

Yes thats one step up.
Even with the F41 bars the frame horn still flex's from the force applied by the steering box and the one I stated I had and this one really stops any movement at all.
This added piece makes the stock sway bar much more effective since the bars mounting points no longer move.
The fender to firewall etc braces are for uni body cars if anyone asks. The body is part of the chassis on these type vehicles and since there in no frame in the middle section of the car the forces applied try to flex/fold the car in half at the firewall, hence why the bars are used. Full frame car???? Theory suggests high speed cornering like nascar causes the body to lean and push the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor