Adjust gas pedal (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gears And Circuits

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2017
I have a few ideas but I need a little advice. Currently the stock pedal hits the trans tunnel and prevents the carb from opening all the way. I can only get the engine to reach 3k rpm. Would it be better to cut the bottom off the pedal or move the pedal away from the firewall?

For reference I have a 1980 Supreme Brougham swapped to a 350 chevy. I'm using the Summit street/strip 600 cfm (Holley) four barrel single pump. the cable and pedal are original.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It would be better to find out why the pedal is hitting the tunnel and then correct the problem. It's not as problem with the factory pedal or it's position if in the stock location

Gears And Circuits

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2017
It would be better to find out why the pedal is hitting the tunnel and then correct the problem. It's not as problem with the factory pedal or it's position if in the stock location

Let me clarify, i'm bad at explaining: Pedal to the floor does not open the carb far enough because it hits the carpet. The amount of deflection isn't enough to pull the cable all the way in. I believe the position is fine, this car only has 100k on it. Do I need to modify the pedal or the cable?

Gears And Circuits

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2017
is that a new carpet and is it laid down properly?

No its original. This car had the v6 in it, which leads me to believe Olds never intended anyone to race that model. If i block the mount on the firewall it should allow more travel without moving the starting point of the cable too much if at all.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
The pedal itself might be loose.Mine came loose one time,so I replaced the factory screws that held it too the firewall with some loctited nuts and bolts.
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No its original. This car had the v6 in it, which leads me to believe Olds never intended anyone to race that model. If i block the mount on the firewall it should allow more travel without moving the starting point of the cable too much if at all.

the Monte SS, Hurst Olds, Olds 442, GP 2+2 and Grand National and every other G body all had the same gas pedal assembly mounted in the same place and they all used the identical carpets

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Perhaps you need to bend the rod on the pedal side of the pivot to allow more travel before the pedal bottoms out. Otherwise, the bracket for the carb is not correct, and needs relocated farther back to give you the correct amount of travel. The universal ones that bolt to the drivers rear carburetor bolt have worked well for me.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If your car was originally a 2 barrel your throttle cable could be too long/short. I've never heard of a pedal being screwed up that bad.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well if l read this all right your running a Holley and not the quad. So l would think your problem is at the carb.

Put up a pic of the carb set-up on the car, that would give a better idea of the issue.

In 30 plus years l am yet to come across a fuel petal issue.

I know for the 600 Holley l put on my elcamino l had to make up a bracket to hold the cable at the carb.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor