Adjustable Fan Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I bought my Hayden adjustable fan control about a year ago it was working ok now its not working right the control gets real hot ive seen some people say they suck so can anyone tell me of a better dual fan control.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can get a thermal switch with two contacts which close at different temps if that if what you looking for. I noticed them when I was going thru the book at Napa. Or if you want them on at the same temp you can run a thermal switch and two relays.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I've got a Hayden on my Malibu. Been on there for a few years now. It's not as good of quality of one that came with my Flexalite fans. But better than the Flexalite controller that I put on my Blazer.
The one on the Blazer is only rated at 20 amps so I wired in a relay so that the controller never "sees" the load of the fans. It's just the trigger for the relay and is still adjustable.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
pontiacgp said:
you can get a thermal switch with two contacts which close at different temps if that if what you looking for. I noticed them when I was going thru the book at Napa. Or if you want them on at the same temp you can run a thermal switch and two relays.

I called NAPA and i have to go down they said they might have one just gota know what temp i want.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Ok thanks I want one to come on about 180-190 and shut off at like 170

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
how do you wire it in the system and where does the thermal switch screw into on the radiator?

Part Number: MBI RF993619
Product Line: Midland Brake Products
Attributes:
Product Application : Horton
Thermal Switch Circuit Type : Normally Closed
Thermal Switch Operating Temperature : 185 Degrees F
Thermal Switch Pipe Size : .500"

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
jrm81bu said:
The one on the Blazer is only rated at 20 amps so I wired in a relay so that the controller never "sees" the load of the fans. It's just the trigger for the relay and is still adjustable.

This is how you need to wire EVERY fan no matter what. There's no controller on the market that can handle the current of a fan directly. Other than maybe one of the high dollar electronic controllers. And even then those can only run one fan.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
FE3X CLONE said:
jrm81bu said:

This is how you need to wire EVERY fan no matter what. There's no controller on the market that can handle the current of a fan directly. Other than maybe one of the high dollar electronic controllers. And even then those can only run one fan.

The one that came with my dual fans took the load for many years and it was a dual fan setup. After it finally gave up I thought about getting another but it was over 100 iirc. So I grabbed the Hayden and it's been running them ever since. It also sees the full load of both fans.
I wasn't gonna chance it on the Blazer though, y book said it was rated at 20 amps but it has 16(I think) stamped on it so I knew it wouldn't handle the fans I put on.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I just ordered my relay harness for the mark viii upgrade I will be doing from Jabin, here: http://stores.therelaycenter.com/-strse ... Detail.bok He's an authorized vendor over on montecarloss.com I talked to him for about an hour on the phone and he knows what he's doing. Give him a call and he'll custome make a harness for what your loking to do ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor