Adjustable shocks or standard? Mono or twin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Hello everyone, I haven’t posted in awhile. Been working on another project, my 67 K10 truck. Got that pretty much where I want it and now I am eager to do a few more upgrades to the MCss. I want to put 2” lowering springs in the rear to level it out. I have the stock F41’s in the front. KYB excel-g shocks at all four corners. What shocks would be the best at all 4? I did the search function and got a lot of info but I want to get a bit more in depth I guess. What adjustable ones can I put in the front to fine tune the stance if I need and to have great handling? I want this to be a corner carver so to speak. I know I will have to put shorter ones in the rear, but should they be adjustable as well if it needs to go up or down? Thanks everyone and it’s great to be back!

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Hello everyone, I haven’t posted in awhile. Been working on another project, my 67 K10 truck. Got that pretty much where I want it and now I am eager to do a few more upgrades to the MCss. I want to put 2” lowering springs in the rear to level it out. I have the stock F41’s in the front. KYB excel-g shocks at all four corners. What shocks would be the best at all 4? I did the search function and got a lot of info but I want to get a bit more in depth I guess. What adjustable ones can I put in the front to fine tune the stance if I need and to have great handling? I want this to be a corner carver so to speak. I know I will have to put shorter ones in the rear, but should they be adjustable as well if it needs to go up or down? Thanks everyone and it’s great to be back!

Adjustable shocks are only adjustable for the compression/extension mode; not height. For that you'll need a coil-over swap.

To get 'corner-carving' ability you need a better camber curve. Tall ball-joints w/factory spindles is common. The new school SSM tall-spindle option is better in my opinion as it get's you immediately into the juicy portion of the camber curve & gets you slightly larger brakes (requires upgrading to OE size 11" front rotors/brake parts). Beyond that, a-arms that are bind-free & a better alignment ('better' meaning an alignment that's more aggressive than OE spec).

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Scoti, thanks for the input. I didn’t think I could adjust ride height with just shocks but I wasn’t 100% sure. I thought another thread I was reading said something about it and thought maybe another new aftermarket part may be out there. I knew about the taller ball joints but not until after I had already put my car together and spent money on the tubular a arms with stock style ball joints. I did do the blazer brake upgrade and at the time I allotted only so much money for everything. I should have saved more and did a little more homework! Thanks again, much appreciated!

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I have UMI 2 inch lowering springs in rear plus Viking double adjustable shocks but i don't have frame under the car yet so no opinion on ride height or handling. They use similar on their green machine and it handles pretty well.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
1579737274418.png

check out this book if you're getting into suspension work/theory.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor