Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Help me spend my money wisely and looking to update a little at a time
P1100376.JPG
1986 SS, stock for now. Looking at the Hotchkiss system.
I would eventually hope to update the suspension systems. I wonder if I should start with the (adjustable)upper rear control arms? I get high speed,(60 mph+) vibration felt in the body, not steering wheel. The tires had been rebalanced which leaves either a driveshaft, wrong pinion angle or brake drums. All suspension bushings are still original at 90k miles.

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
The vibration you're experiencing should be addressed first.
It might be something as simple as a bad U Joint.
Body bushings should be on the top of your "To Do" list.Theres lots of threads on here about this.
Here is a link that is a good starting point to accomplish this task;
Lots of guys here have done this and have lots of tips.
If you have a big enough budget I can recommend Mark Savitske at SC&C for help with suspension upgrades;
He can offer solid advice and has kick *ss kits.
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Mid 80's G bodies were notorious for driveline vibrations most noticeable in overdrive with the torque converter locked. I would look the driveshaft. I highly doubt the pinion angle is off unless the car was the victim of a bad accident OR the bushings are falling out of the control arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Help me spend my money wisely and looking to update a little at a time View attachment 138884 .
1986 SS, stock for now. Looking at the Hotchkiss system.
I would eventually hope to update the suspension systems. I wonder if I should start with the (adjustable)upper rear control arms? I get high speed,(60 mph+) vibration felt in the body, not steering wheel. The tires had been rebalanced which leaves either a driveshaft, wrong pinion angle or brake drums. All suspension bushings are still original at 90k miles.

Give the shop a call and we will send you out a set for only $179.99, new hardware, free shipping and a T-shirt! DID I MENTION A STICKER KIT ALSO, LOL?
Best price around.
Tell them I sent you.

Use Promo code madmacpromo20

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Re: vibration - body mounts replaced, wheels spun to check for wobble and tire run out, body and frame show no signs of damage or repair, rear tires rebalanced, U joints recent, trans tailshaft bushing new. I can not verify the drums and driveshaft are in balance. No weights appear to be missing on shaft. In a few days I'll check the rear suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor