Adjusting hydraulic lifters on 403 in 1984 Hurst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2021
is there a method to adjust Olds hydraulic valves in the same way as adjusting a Chevy. I mean like move the crankshaft to top dead center on #1 cyl and adjust certain intake/exhaust valves , then turn the crank 360* and adjust #6 cyl and all the other valves. I have wondered about this for a long time and just got around to asking an Olds community. Thanks, Alex

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You got it. You can do it as the same firing order pertains to Olds V8 and Chevy V8. Just as long as you're on the base circle on the rocker you're adjusting for your final preload, you should be good. IIRC, you want no more than 0.060" preload on the lifters. At any rate, as long as you have SOME preload and not too excessive and the valvetrain is quiet, you should be good.

EDIT: Follow the cam lifter company's preload suggestions, as some of the aftermarkets use different preload ranges. I'd probably shoot for .030 or .040 myself, but well, that's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
If your using factory parts, there is no adjustment. Just slowly tighten so the lifters have time to bleed out and you won't bend a push rod.
If your running some sorta aftermarket set up, then follow 69HURSTOLDS recommendations.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Good point on the factory setup. I just assumed with a 403 it was built with adjustable valve train because why the heck would you even want to adjust them otherwise?

If the valve train is quiet, and you have the factory rockers/pivots installed, you're already done. Nothing to do here.

Highredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2021
Thanks to both of you for responses. I forgot to mention that I do have adjustable rockers on the 403, and they are a little noisy. Need to replace valve cover gaskets and figured this would be good time to do an adjustment on the lifters. Does anyone know if anyone makes the orange silicone gaskets for Olds valve covers like the newer style for vortec heads valve covers?

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Ever since I saw this guy demonstrate this method of adjusting valves, I've used it and never looked back.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Ever since I saw this guy demonstrate this method of adjusting valves, I've used it and never looked back.

Same method in you tube video from Ellison's Machine Shop. Used that method for years and never had any issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor