Advanced auto parts morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
My truck breaks down 40 miles from home. The belt tensioner was shot . I had someone come get me and after a Google search of the area we went to advanced auto parts. 20 minutes later i left empty handed. Searched again and found a pep boys. 5 minutes later walked out with the part. Im convinced advanced auto only hires complete morons that know nothing about cars or parts.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I just love when I need something and they say year make and model? Nothing I own is factory built but my Duramax. The idiots don't know what a GM HEI is why are they there ? To sell floor mats stick on crap and air freshener?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hahaha! The last one (manager, mind you) asked me if I was sure I had the right battery. "Yup, it the same number as the one I brought in" <pointing to my core on the floor>. "Are you sure?". YES, I'M F%^_/ING SURE!!!

BAH! Hate those idiots!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Back 25-30 years ago you could walk into a auto parts store and ask for a rag joint for a certain make and model and they had it on the counter with out even looking in the parts catalog. I miss those days.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Been on both sides of this...

In the case of the HEI, v8, v6 odd-fire, v6 even fire? 82 or 83, 82 modules will fry in an 83 system.

There really is a reason they ask. In the case of a hybrid build using parts from a variety of donors, I have found it's best to either look it up yourself and ask for it by part number, or keep a crib sheet of parts for your build with the part number, and consult it and again, order by part number. SOME of them even know how to look up an interchange if it is a line they don't carry.

Seriously, I gave up when I had to argue with the O'Reilly guy that insisted I didn't want the severe duty clutch fan because it "will be too loud"......ever since that it has been strictly order by number for me.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Back 25-30 years ago you could walk into a auto parts store and ask for a rag joint for a certain make and model and they had it on the counter with out even looking in the parts catalog. I miss those days.

With most of my parts buying online I really miss that era too. Most of the parts places I went to, corporation or the ma and pa stores, had a few retired mechanics behind the counter or people that were car guys that knew what you wanted and might have replaced the part themselves and had tips to make the job easier.

One of my friends owned a speed shop and he was a former drag racer who quit racing after a bad accident and having 3 young kids helped him choose working behind a counter instead. He had one of those memories you mentioned where when someone came in for a part he knew exactly what the part number was. I would help him on weekends sometimes and a few other guys would also come in to help because he worked so many hours and had no time off and gave him a chance to spend time with his family. It was our way of thanking him for all his help like giving us parts on credit until pay day if we were low on funds. He really cared about all his customers and they knew it. It was a great place to hang out, talk cars, and see the new catalogs of all the stuff I could not afford! lol

Reactions: 7 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
They get upset when I grab the keyboard and turn the screen around and tell them what part number to write down and fetch. Recently some teenage girl told me I couldn't use my commercial account which I've had with them for 16 years because I changed our company number and it didn't match the one in their system. Even though I gave them the address, business name, and my name, the manager who I've dealt with for 6 years told me no. All because I couldn't remember the original phone number. Everybody who was knowledgeable or helpful has left. My business has left also.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I worked at advance for 14 years, and as much as I hate to say it, I too am pretty much hanging my head for what the industry, as a whole, has become... I was the old guy that everyone says to go talk to for what they need, though I didn't have the memory for all the part #'s! 22 weeks after they let me go, the district manager asked if I'd come back! :rofl: been gone 3 years now, and haven't looked back!

it's all about the bottom line now, warm bodies behind the counter, and as few as possible.... drove the GP to my old store one day, and the kid behind the counter asked me what was up with the roof! didn't even know what a t-top was!:doh:

Reactions: 3 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I worked at advance for 14 years, and as much as I hate to say it, I too am pretty much hanging my head for what the industry, as a whole, has become... I was the old guy that everyone says to go talk to for what they need, though I didn't have the memory for all the part #'s! 22 weeks after they let me go, the district manager asked if I'd come back! :rofl: been gone 3 years now, and haven't looked back!

it's all about the bottom line now, warm bodies behind the counter, and as few as possible.... drove the GP to my old store one day, and the kid behind the counter asked me what was up with the roof! didn't even know what a t-top was!:doh:
All I wanted was to fix the truck and go home. The kid at the counter didn't even know what a belt tensioner was. After playing with his computer for 20 minutes and asking me dozens of stupid questions tells me they dont stock it. The guy at pep boys handed it right over. Think about it, who doesn't stock a tensioner for a Chevy truck? It's a common part! I hate advanced auto.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd bet they had it, and he couldn't figure out what it was and wouldn't ask for help. Seen that a couple times as well.

Seems few people today care about the continued success of their employers, and not just at parts stores. They're just putting in the time to collect a paycheck.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor