advanced cam timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

68NOVA

n00b
Sep 6, 2007
(Oak Cliff) Dallas, TX
I dropped a motor in my cutdog a few weeks back and haven't been able to get to hit right, and its backfiring like a 12 gauge after I hit it and let off. The cam had been advanced, and i didn't line it up out of curiousity to see how it would run. I know people have done this before, but what are you supposed to do to the timing, or plugs, or anything else to get it running right?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you re-tune your carb and re-time the ignition? you may have to re-time the ignition the "redneck" way. which is my preferred method. set the timing by ear to the best idle, ( check it with a timing light and don't go over 30*) then drive the car and retard the timing little by little until it drives right. take it easy on the gas at first. if it's a HP build you will probably need 15-20*BTDC base timing.
my car drove me nuts because it idled perfect at 60* :shock: of course it drove like crap there. i did the redneck time and it worked great.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Just out of curiosity, what did you do to the engine to make you think you would want to advance the cam timing? I have done this to a few competition engines for drag racing, so I am curious.

68NOVA

n00b
Sep 6, 2007
(Oak Cliff) Dallas, TX
i didn't build this one, just dropped it in. I noticed the timing advanced like that, so instead of putting in my cam just left it alone to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor